???Split brisket cook***cook now finish later???

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So due to timing issues I'm considering doing a split cook on a 12 lbs brisket cook for Saturday nights fight. Plan would be to hang in the drum for 6 hrs, cool and reheat the next day in my turkey roaster.

Any advice? Am ok cooking to just past the stall and finishing later or should I cook through then cool? How long to reheat and any tips?

Sorry got nothing on this. I would just through it on the rec tec for this sort of situation.

I don't see how that would work because you only partially cooked it and none of the fat is rendered. Once it cools, wouldn't you essentially be cooking it again from scratch.

Never done this, but here is what I know about it.

There was a really good comp cook that would precook the brisket to the stall, then give it an ice bath. The next morning he would then cook the brisket. From what I heard/gathered it would take about the same time to cook the next morning as normal. He would claim that it gave the brisket a deeper beef taste?

I look forward to your findings.

Smoke for 6-7 hrs until you are happy with the bark and color. Remove and wrap in butcher paper (or foil if you prefer) and put in turkey roaster at 250. Once it's done, remove and vent util temps are coming down. Rewrap and put back in turkey roaster set at 150. It will hold that way easily 12+ hrs.

Might end up being the best brisket you've ever made!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out :-D

I'd cook it all the way until "done" then package it in some way that allows for an easy reheat the next day. I frequently cook brisket in advance, vacuum seal, then reheat in sous vide when I want to eat it. The texture of the bark may take a little hit but it's otherwise almost indistinguishable from "fresh".

This where the Sous Vide process shines, you could go from cooker into vac sealer into Sous Vide until time to serve 18 hours to 48 hours+ later.

I’ve got nothin Steve, but I’m interested in how you end up doing it and yer results...

thanks fellas.

I'm still wrestling around with this one. figured I'd serve around 8 or 9 pm. I wont be throwing it on for a few more hours and I have a half day of work tomorrow. my normal process is to cook the evening before, finish in the roaster over night for a lunchtime service. I really dont want to active hold 12+ hours as I find they lose something.

I may just throw it on before bed, wrap and in the roaster to finish before I head to work. that may require :becky: to check for tender and then drop the temp for me.

I'm just trying to keep the timing on this cook manageable. I dont cook anymore if it's an inconvenience. also I've been wanting to try a split cook for the same reasoning.

either way I'll post the results

Smoke for 6-7 hrs until you are happy with the bark and color. Remove and wrap in butcher paper (or foil if you prefer) and put in turkey roaster at 250. Once it's done, remove and vent util temps are coming down. Rewrap and put back in turkey roaster set at 150. It will hold that way easily 12+ hrs.

Might end up being the best brisket you've ever made!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out :-D

Thanks.

You do realize that what you just described is the brisket method that I haven't shut up about for the last 5 years. I don't rewrap or vent tho

Oh, if you cook all the way, double wrapped in foil, the oven takes about 1.5hrs @275 to reheat.

so is this a consensus on time to reheat?

I am cooking a brisket for a friend to reheat for the weekend. and am thinking about how to give them the best instructions for heating and slicing.

oh and in regards to last weeks brisket cook it came out good. started late at night and finished in the roaster in the morning. had to have the mrs probe it and by the time she did it was a little over but was a hit as usual.

so is this a consensus on time to reheat?

I am cooking a brisket for a friend to reheat for the weekend. and am thinking about how to give them the best instructions for heating and slicing.

oh and in regards to last weeks brisket cook it came out good. started late at night and finished in the roaster in the morning. had to have the mrs probe it and by the time she did it was a little over but was a hit as usual.

A lot cheaper than that $300 dollar brisket Franklin would mail him/her! :laugh:

A lot cheaper than that $300 dollar brisket Franklin would mail him/her! :laugh:

They paid $80 for a choice flat. $7.99 lbs and I still had trimming to do. I would have cooked them a 12 lbs packer for $100.......hmmm I see a business opportunity here....the Shirley/minivan may rise again

Back