Thermoworks smoke and billows

Jeffro N

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Thinking about purchasing both the Termoworks Billows temp. control fan and Smoke remote thermometer. Anyone have any experience to relate about these items? The only thing I've ever purchased from Thermoworks is a Thermopen which has lasted me well over ten years.

Thanks for your input.

Thinking about purchasing both the Termoworks Billows temp. control fan and Smoke remote thermometer. Anyone have any experience to relate about these items? The only thing I've ever purchased from Thermoworks is a Thermopen which has lasted me well over ten years.

Thanks for your input.

I love their Thermopen. I bought the smoke when I owned my Kamado Joe. I threw away their smoke unit within a year. I bought the unit and extra probes at the same time. It was eating through probes. I went through 4 probes in a year. Called Thermoworks and guy told me since the probes were bought a year ago best he could do is give me 10% off new probes. So I asked, I’ll have to buy 4 probes a year just to use this thing in my backyard? I don’t compete. Short answer was yes. And don’t buy all at one time, they won’t honor their reliability. Went with a maverick and haven’t looked back. Over 2 years later, I haven’t replaced one probe yet. If you’re looking specifically for a fan and control unit, there are better options. BBQ guru, FireBoard (I have the FireBoard and love it) Pitmaster IQ (I have the 110, I recommend the 120 or 130).

Ok that's great to know. I am happy with Maverick also, been using the same ET 733 for 5 years with a couple of probe replacements. Also looking at the Pitmaster IQ110- what are the advantages to going with the 120?

Thanks for the info.

I have had several of their products and never had any issues. I use my MK4 daily and OG Smoke whenever I want to monitor. I was gifted the Signals with Billows a while back. It worked as designed and I did not have any problems with it. I haven't had much use for it since Covid allows me to be at home which eliminates my need for Wifi monitoring.

Between the Dot, Smoke, and Signals I have had one probe malfunction and it was a case of operator error. One time I dropped the Smoke unit onto concrete from about six feet up. There was no damage and that made me a fan of their products.

Ok that's great to know. I am happy with Maverick also, been using the same ET 733 for 5 years with a couple of probe replacements. Also looking at the Pitmaster IQ110- what are the advantages to going with the 120?

Thanks for the info.

The 120 adds digital display, food temp probe, programmable modes, and an audible alarm. There may be more features, but those are the big ones. My 110 is an analog fan. Turn the dial to the temp you want and a light blinks at you to tell you you’re too low or too high. I think it has a 10 degree variance built in. You never know the true exact temp of the pit. No alarm, no food probes, or programming available on 110. For the money, it’s worth it to bump to the 120. If you want or need more food probes, you’re going to have to just to the 130. I’ve had it for years. First for my Kamado Joe. Now I use it on my 48” assassin. I’ve replaced the pit probe once so far.

I was looking at purchasing the OG Smoke a little while ago. Once I read up on the specifics it is only supposed to operate outside in certain temperatures. It is not rain resistant nor rain proof. They also mention being careful taking it from warm weather outside and bringing it into cold indoors (also not the opposite way i.e. cold outside and warm inside). They said it could cause condensation on the screen. This led me to go with the Signals (on sale score!). Have used the Signals 3 or 4 times and like it.

I have had several of their products and never had any issues. I use my MK4 daily and OG Smoke whenever I want to monitor. I was gifted the Signals with Billows a while back. It worked as designed and I did not have any problems with it. I haven't had much use for it since Covid allows me to be at home which eliminates my need for Wifi monitoring.

Between the Dot, Smoke, and Signals I have had one probe malfunction and it was a case of operator error. One time I dropped the Smoke unit onto concrete from about six feet up. There was no damage and that made me a fan of their products.

That’s awesome. I wish I had the same results. Won’t ever hesitate to buy another thermopen or dot. Won’t buy any other products though. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but their CS answer to buy more probes at a discount turned me into not a fan.

I have used a Signal and Billows for a little over a year with no issues.

25% off one item sale going on now at Thermoworks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I love their Thermopen. I bought the smoke when I owned my Kamado Joe. I threw away their smoke unit within a year. I bought the unit and extra probes at the same time. It was eating through probes. I went through 4 probes in a year. Called Thermoworks and guy told me since the probes were bought a year ago best he could do is give me 10% off new probes. So I asked, I’ll have to buy 4 probes a year just to use this thing in my backyard? I don’t compete. Short answer was yes. And don’t buy all at one time, they won’t honor their reliability. Went with a maverick and haven’t looked back. Over 2 years later, I haven’t replaced one probe yet. If you’re looking specifically for a fan and control unit, there are better options. BBQ guru, FireBoard (I have the FireBoard and love it) Pitmaster IQ (I have the 110, I recommend the 120 or 130).

Basically same experience here with probes and Smoke. Last two I received were dead on arrival although Thermoworks said they were checked prior to shipping. Total 4 replacement probes in 2 years (2 under warranty and 2 on my dime.)

As to fan and control unit I initially started out with BBQ Guru’s “Party-Q” and had two of those fail although I always remove immediately after cook and store indoors. I sent original in for warranty service and was told that I had left batteries in and that they had ruptured and destroyed circuit board - not true at all. The unit was in like new condition and I had removed batteries prior to shipping. I subsequently spoke to someone else and they sent me a new unit. The replacement lasted about 6 months. After last failure I was told that Guru was “upgrading” their customers that had Party-Q to the DigiQ for a discounted price (they realized Party-Q was junk and discontinued it.) The discount is insignificant when taking the cost of the Party-Q into account.

I did spring for the DigiQ, Pit Viper, and magnetic mount and so far have been pleased with the setup

I bought a Signals a while back when it was on sale and I discovered that the Signals is designed to control the Billows, so I bought one of those too. I am very pleased with the operation of the pair. It works great on my Weekender.

I really like the latest version of the App, especially the graphing function.

I also have a couple of Dots which are great and I never had any probe problems. As a matter of fact, I am using the old probes with the new Signals.

I have had the Thermoworks Smoke for 3 or 4 years and have had no issues with it. The probes seem more robust than others. This is just a thermometer and not a pit minder for me.

I also have the IQ110 and IQ120. I like having the digital readout for the temp on the IQ120 but both get the job done. I have had to replace probes with these units, though.

I also have an old Auber but it craps out in temps less than 20 degrees. This happens more times than you think in the Chicago 'burbs! Now it is just a backup because the IQ's work better in the colder weather.

I can vouch for the IQ products being solid. From what I've experienced with the Smoke, I would think that the Signals/Billows would be a good product too. Probably can't go wrong.

I bought the original Smoke when it first came out and still use the original probes. I also have the Smoke X4 and have not had any issues with the probes on it either.

Back