Thermapen or Thermapop?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Developing my Christmas list - not sure why, other than a couple seconds faster, the pen is better than the pop. Thoughts?

Any suggestions for cool new stuff to add to list also appreciated.

For the Thermapen:
Larger display, rotating probe for the right angle, and the MK4, the display rotates as you position the pen.

Last edited:
I have both and would definitly go with the Thermapen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have two of the Thermapop for 5 years now and has never let me down and either one will do you right .

Last edited:
I’ve seen a ton of issues lately with thermapens. Mine won’t turn on half the time when I flip the probe open. A restaurant I know has gone through a bunch lately as well. Wonder if the thermapop would be more reliable then

We use the Thermapop in the restaurant. It is quick enough for the uses, but the big deal is employees break or loose things like no tomorrow. I stock up when they have the open box sale and pick up 20 pops at a time.

I also love to have some pops on hand to gift to friends and family that have not had a good Thermo.

I debated between these two for quite a while and ended up going with the Thermopop. I haven't had any issues with it and I figure if I can get 2 for the price of 1 Thermopen that's the way to go for me. Now if I was cooking for the masses and needed to check a lot of meat very very quickly I would probably go with a Pen for the easier handling and recovery time.

Thermopop is great for home use. It's pretty darn fast and accurate. I have no regrets having gone with the cheaper model

I don't use an instant read thermometer much- I've got an old yellow Taylor that reads at the speed of a fast turtle. I'd love to see a couple of Thermo Pops under my tree rather than a Thermapen.

Had my Thermapen for over a decade and it has worked flawless, only changed the battery once.

I have both, use the Thermapen outside on the gril, the ThermoPop in the kitchen.

I don't like carrying the ThermoPop in a pocket for fear I'll impale myself, and after using it, don't like placing it in its carrier until I clean it.

With the Thermapen I can almost close it to shut it off, feel safe about carrying it and then wash the probe end before closing it completely.

-lunchman

I’ve seen a ton of issues lately with thermapens. Mine won’t turn on half the time when I flip the probe open. A restaurant I know has gone through a bunch lately as well. Wonder if the thermapop would be more reliable then

I second this sentiment. My thermapen works 100% of the time I don't really need it, but as soon as I need it to check a quick temp, it fails me. Might be slightly exaggerated but it feels this way.

I've had them both for a couple of years now, the ThermoPop never leaves the draw.

Get the thermapen with backlight...

You can thank me later

I have no experience with a Thermopop but I'm very happy with my basic Thermapen. After it's first use I went to the kitchen and threw my other two inferior instant therms in the trash.

Back