Hiding brisket injection marks

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did my 2nd injection ever the other day. I dont remember what the results of the first one was because it was months ago and was just messing around. This one was bad. Sliced into it and could clearly see the injection marks starring right at me. My thought was "Oh s**t" because I was serving it for friends and strangers and was not expecting it. Nobody said anything or asked. Tasted fine though. I'm not sure if there's a way to hide them or if I just did something wrong.

1/5th cup Komos injection (reduced for backyard bbq)
2 cups beef broth (room temp)
Mixed in shaker
Injected with the grain

Should I try distilled water or something next time instead of broth? Chill injection first?

Ideas?

Try 1/4 cup injection to 1 bottle (16.9oz) of water and inject against the grain. I always had trouble with staining using broth (maybe just me). Also, make sure you aren't injecting too much in one spot, tends to mark it as well. Now, to really avoid staining, don't inject :p

I go with the grain and then against the grain. Try that. Then massage the brisket after injecting. Should hide any marks.
So inject your meat and rub it real good...:shock:

Did my 2nd injection ever the other day. I dont remember what the results of the first one was because it was months ago and was just messing around. This one was bad. Sliced into it and could clearly see the injection marks starring right at me. My thought was "Oh s**t" because I was serving it for friends and strangers and was not expecting it. Nobody said anything or asked. Tasted fine though. I'm not sure if there's a way to hide them or if I just did something wrong.

Mixed in shaker
Injected with the grain

Should I try distilled water or something next time instead of broth? Chill injection first?

Ideas?

Are you doing this for competition or home?

... hey now ... don't you be stealing this for your upcoming classes, and passing off the information as your own !!!

Speaking of classes, I hear there is a great Hot and Fast tell-all one January 19, 2019 at the Kansas City BBQ Store.

Makes a great Christmas Present
good.gif

I don't inject anything so take whatever I say on the matter at face value.

I have "heard on the internet"...actually personally heard Myron Mixon (competition & injection extraordinaire) describe & give examples of the process saying to inject with the grain. That, as much as it can, hides the injection lines.

Mixed in shaker
Injected with the grain

Ideas?

How long did you let it rest between injecting and putting it in the cooker?

Its just what I do. I am sure you have a better way.
I just inject with the grain then against. Then rub my hands over the brisket. It works for me. Just massage the brisket a bit to get it through the brisket. Imo it helps distribute the injection through the brisket more evenly. Seems to prevent staining.
I like to rub my meat...:twitch: before I rub my meat:becky:

Am I the only one giving my briskets a good massage so that its all loosened up and relaxed and ready to be tasty?

I always go with the grain. Use smaller needles. Never had any staining.

try following the kosmos instructions but using water. Also if you can inject and let it sit for 12 or so hours.

Back