Cabinet vs Pipe Style OFFSET Smoker

Which style of OFFSET smoker do you prefer?

• Cabinet Style Offset

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Pipe Style Offset

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters

Bitter Alchemist

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Looking for help deciding between two Lone Star Grillz OFFSET smokers. One is the 30” Cabinet Offset and the other is the 24 x 60 Pipe Style Offset. Both are very similar in price.

Initially I was leaning towards the cabinet due to more cooking space, smaller footprint, ability to rotate shelves (as they are all the same size), and ability to hang larger meat.

However, what am I giving up by going with the cabinet. LSG still makes the Pipe style offsets, so people must still be buying them. Why would they choose a pipe over the cabinet? Better air flow? More even temperatures? Better flavor?

Regardless of style I will do 1/2” Firebox and Warming Oven. Both are more than big enough for my small family and footprint is not a big issue, I have room for both. I just want the ability to produce the best possible BBQ.

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• BDDB74B7-3ABB-45F0-8BD4-103C0C7D854D.jpg
    BDDB74B7-3ABB-45F0-8BD4-103C0C7D854D.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 1A8281E5-EFED-4D0D-9E93-03FD8C05631D.jpg
    1A8281E5-EFED-4D0D-9E93-03FD8C05631D.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 406
  • 416CC3AC-3EF3-4993-850C-0FC503C162F4.jpg
    416CC3AC-3EF3-4993-850C-0FC503C162F4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 403
  • F97535BC-BBC4-4CA8-B5D8-3A09ABA16E04.jpg
    F97535BC-BBC4-4CA8-B5D8-3A09ABA16E04.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 405
There is alot of good information on this site so I would encourage you to use the search option to dig deeper on this topic in other threads. I have never had a cabinet, though I do have a UDS which is somewhat similar. I have owned 3 offset stickburners because I like the process of BBQ just as much as the outcome. I also like the hot spot/cool spot on an offset and with right amount of grill real estate can do some different things with it. For me I would go with the 24x60 offset.

Opps I went back to original post and see you were talkin both cabinet and pipe offset. I dont think you could go wrong with either one. For shear capacity you may want to go cabinet. For hot spot/cool spot I am sure they both have one, though I am more familiar with how to use one on an offset. Both great choices just be sure you want to tend fire.

Opps I went back to original post and see you were talkin both cabinet and pipe offset. I dont think you could go wrong with either one. For shear capacity you may want to go cabinet. For hot spot/cool spot I am sure they both have one, though I am more familiar with how to use one on an offset. Both great choices just be sure you want to tend fire.

Yeah I have searched a lot, but most people only compare offset to a vertical cabinet. I understand the difference there, and I am dead set on an offset stick burner. Just looking for more info on both types of OFFSET stick burners.

If you are getting a warming cabinet on either. You just added alot of hanging room. Even better if you get an adjustable vent opening in the bottom of cabinet into the firebox. Now you have more ways to cook.
As far as offset cabinet vs horizontal. If you do not mind rotating grates. Then go with the offset cabinet.
I find it much easier to adjust food locations on horizontal grates.
I will tell you pulling out just 2 grates full of porkbutts, setting them down on something so you are able to rotate the grates front/rear but also height location. Is a PIA. Let alone having to rotate all the grates when doing a large cook.
But that's me.

“Pipe” style, between those two, looks more versatile and easier to work in. The cabinet is a high density small footprint machine, but you said you don’t need the small foot print.

Now a rectangular cabinet the same length as the pipe with height and depth equal to the diameter of the pipe would be better. Easier access, slightly more volume and flexibility, and all shelves the same size and shape.

Now a rectangular cabinet the same length as the pipe with height and depth equal to the diameter of the pipe would be better. Easier access, slightly more volume and flexibility, and all shelves the same size and shape.

Sounds like you are talking him into a Shirley Straight Back...:biggrin1:

I prefer cabinet - for the door. Pipe smoker with cabinet doors is Cool. Cuz I have Osteo-Arthritis in my back n shoulders so traditional pipe doors SUCK - even with counter weights.

When I got my LSG traditional offset the Offset Cabinet was not an option, if it had I probably would have went with a Cabinet. I like the capacity, the door, the smaller footprint is a plus and feel would be a more efficient smoker than the 60".

With that said if I were going with a 60" offset I would definitely go with the single door with counterweight, never know when you may want to do a whole hog. Also if you are really loading things up I feel the divided grates would reduce capacity.

I initially ordered the same cabinet you are looking at. During the 3 month wait I decided to change my order to the 24 x 48 single door offset and couldn't be happier with the decision.

You will be happy with either pit!

if I were going with a 60" offset I would definitely go with the single door with counterweight, never know when you may want to do a whole hog.

If a whole hog is even a tiny possibility for you in the future, then I agree and say you ought to go with the horizontal rather than the cabinet. My preference, is to go with a cabinet but if I were trying to decide, the possibility if cooking a whole hog is going to swing me more. I have been to several hog roasts though.

If a whole hog is even a tiny possibility for you in the future, then I agree and say you ought to go with the horizontal rather than the cabinet. My preference, is to go with a cabinet but if I were trying to decide, the possibility if cooking a whole hog is going to swing me more. I have been to several hog roasts though.

Very very unlikely that I’ll ever do a whole hog. Just brisket, ribs, pork butt, and chicken.

I’m leaning towards the cabinet. Unless you all (yinz in Pittsburgh) think I’ll get drastically better flavor/results from the Horizontal Pipe. Flavor is my number one priority (that’s why I want a stick burner). If I’m going to get the same results flavor wise from the cabinet and horizontal, then I’m going to go with the cabinet.

I wrestled with the same - opted for the VO. Very happy with the decision, cooking similar list of expected fare. I’ve got friends who have gear to tackle a whole hog if I need it... or a rental once a blue moon would figure to scratch that itch. Even the 24” I bought has over 3300 sq/in of cooking space... which I don’t expect to ever fill. Couple Brethren have the next size up and have managed sucklings on them.

Either option looks like a great decision. I’m really enjoying stick burning and have very positive reception from my family and friends eating the output. I do find that I have had to restock my outdoor grill island beverage fridge more often... good thing beer has been on sale!

Back