Low carb and bbq?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone do lo carb and bbq? I’m trying to decide between low carb or calorie counting lifestyle. With low carb I’m not worried about the sauce as I don’t typically use sauce anyways but more so about the rub. For those that have done low carb have you found that the rub have enough sugar in them that you need to monitor it? Would prefer not to change from the Oakridge rubs I have been using.

Anyone do lo carb and bbq? I’m trying to decide between low carb or calorie counting lifestyle. With low carb I’m not worried about the sauce as I don’t typically use sauce anyways but more so about the rub. For those that have done low carb have you found that the rub have enough sugar in them that you need to monitor it? Would prefer not to change from the Oakridge rubs I have been using.

It really depends on what low carb program you are going to do, and what rub, and how much you use. Most rubs have a serving size of 1/4 tsp. You just have to look at the rub, and determine if it fits your macros. I have been eating Keto since last August, and still use commercial rubs, including Oakridge.

Take a loot the healthy eating section of the forum. There are a few threads on low carb, keto, etc. in there.

I stay with low carb, not quite to the keto level. I lost 165 pounds on a medically supervised low carb program and have been sticking with a low carb way of eating based on real foods, no grains, no processed sugars and no factory seed oils and have maintained my loss for two years and counting.

Kosmos q has a line of Keto friendly rubs under their clean eating seasonings. Sugar and gluten free.

None of Naturiffic seasonings have any added sugars and are Keto/low carb friendly!

Hey brother, Kroger has these Private Selection rubs. They are low carb and low sodium which is great for me for Keto and for keeping my BP in check. The best part of all, these rubs are fantastic! The one pictured has only 1 carb but the Texas blend has 0 carbs! Again, delicious rubs that I would even use for competitions.

cb81641324caf8667d06c8d410f9ed08.jpg

68026620e6292182287f7a5312b7d19b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey brother, Kroger has these Private Selection rubs. They are low carb and low sodium which is great for me for Keto and for keeping my BP in check. The best part of all, these rubs are fantastic! The one pictured has only 1 carb but the Texas blend has 0 carbs! Again, delicious rubs that I would even use for competitions.

cb81641324caf8667d06c8d410f9ed08.jpg

68026620e6292182287f7a5312b7d19b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id be careful of these if going keto. Cane sugar is the main ingredient but they fail to give you a total on the nutritional info.

I will be the odd man out. I have had the best luck losing weight by counting calories. It takes some extra time to figure out food some days, but it means that I can eat ANYTHING and still lose weight. I really like my meat and veggies, so I could do low carb or another type. However, the carb and sugar part I like to enjoy also, so calorie counting is how I roll. As far as rubs go, IMnotalwaysHO, unless you plan to eat spoonfuls of the rub itself, I dont think it is a huge concern for the carb count. As far as calories go, a bbq rub doesn't add enough for me to worry about.

Reading the back of my oakridge Dominator SWEET Rub, for a serving size, there are 0.0000 calories and sugars...and it contains raw cane sugar as the first ingredient. Do what you want with that...:noidea:

Last edited:
Just started Keto a little over a week ago and all my Oakridge rubs are sitting unused since they all have sugar in it. I've just been going with a simple, homemade SPOG.

I've done a brisket and chicken thighs on the PBC. Did steaks, bacon, cheddar smashburgers and a ton of thighs with a bunch of onions/peppers on the Blackstone so far. The eating has been pretty good.

Its such a small amount its negligible in impact. I confirmed this using keto sticks, I'd even use a small amount of sauce to dip the meat in and it didnt pull me out of ketosis. I'd go get a half pound of brisket from the trailer down the street, get sauce on the side, and lightly dip it in if I were so inclined. Many lunches that way.

In one teaspoon of sugar there is 4g of carbs, which is why many rubs list 0 carbs per serving. Its unlikely youd even wind up consuming 1 tsp of rub in your average serving of bbq. I get it, its easier to be absolute and not have any, but you can indulge in certain things and get away with it. That being said, salt and pepper is a fine seasoning for bbq too.

Do the keto diet with intermittent fasting. Get up and do a small 10-20 minute workout. Then all the water and black coffee until noon. Then low carb (20 grams per day or less) for 8 hours. So nothing after 8. Weight will fall off. Can read more on utube. For me counting calories does not work.

Do the keto diet with intermittent fasting. Get up and do a small 10-20 minute workout. Then all the water and black coffee until noon. Then low carb (20 grams per day or less) for 8 hours. So nothing after 8. Weight will fall off. Can read more on utube. For me counting calories does not work.

I agree with much of this but the missing piece for me from other low carb diets to Keto was the need to get enough but not too much protein. Our bodies can basically turn excess protein into sugar, and that can counter the anti hunger/cravings benefits. So, the diet works best when you eat a lot of low carb plants, moderate meat portions, and fill in any additional calorie needs with fats.

If your metabolism is at all like mine, Keto done right is very effective, but it isn’t super easy.

Find some family photos from the 1930’s and earlier. Guessing the fam are all going to be on the slim side. Consequence is no coincidence.
Eat like they did.

Last edited:
Find some family photos from the 1930’s and earlier. Guessing the fam are all going to be on the slim side. Consequence is no coincidence.
Eat like they did.

They worked long hours at more physical jobs and still couldn’t afford excess food. Not applicable to most of us today.

Beer and carbs

I'd like to see a show of hands, starting with mine, of the people who do no sauce and change their rub but continue to slam down those rotgut beers. I have reined my ketosis a bunch of times with just one beer..

I'd like to see a show of hands, starting with mine, of the people who do no sauce and change their rub but continue to slam down those rotgut beers. I have reined my ketosis a bunch of times with just one beer..

I love beer but think I have had 4 in the last 10 months. Bourbon on the other hand is carb free. I have cut way back on it too though.

I'm not keto just minimize carbs but I'm Guilty...

Depending on what you drink, a single beer probably has between 5 and 15g of carbs. It might pull you out of ketosis until your body burns off the alcohol and carbs from the beer but it shouldnt derail you and make you go through induction again*

I also used keto sticks to measure the effect of whiskey on ketosis. Itll stop the ketones while my body processes the alcohol but the next morning I am right back at it with purple sticks. Would it be better if I hadnt? Technically yes. But not the end of the world either.

As the screen name indicates, I like beer a lot so....I always return to my old ways :becky:

*obviously YMMV

Back