MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #211
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
that went right over my head. Can you expound?

I don't know my colleagues nicknames - one of them may be bigswole- if you describe him maybe it'll come to me

I guess that would depend on the size of the smoker and whats being cooked but that was not my experience with the pecos. I honestly also expected that it would be much less efficient than my stick-burner uds ,but it only used about 25% more wood.

so I would assume it would only consume about 25% more charcoal than a charcoal burner as well, assuming a well made offset (like the pecos) and a similar size to a uds(also like a pecos)

Charcoal fueled cookers tend to not be offset but the heat flows direct. You cant compare different cookers fuel mileage. My 007 live fire drum is efficient compared to the stick burner offset. Charcoal cookers work off a controled burn, stick burners work off of draft. Unless you choke down the stick burner is gonna burn fast with charcoal and even then the offset nature will not be as effiecent.

Choking down will possibly give bitter or over smoked....but since you want more it would have been an idea, even if it were expensive to do

Old 12-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #212
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
I don't know my colleagues nicknames - one of them may be bigswole- if you describe him maybe it'll come to me
BigSwole is a member here that can never get enough smoke flavor and he talks about it all the time. i guess he hasn't been around recently or you would know the reference i was making.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #213
smokeswirl
Full Fledged Farker

Thats why I have two pellet grills
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #214
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Charcoal fueled cookers tend to not be offset but the heat flows direct. You cant compare different cookers fuel mileage. My 007 live fire drum is efficient compared to the stick burner offset. Charcoal cookers work off a controled burn, stick burners work off of draft. Unless you choke down the stick burner is gonna burn fast with charcoal and even then the offset nature will not be as effiecent.

Choking down will possibly give bitter or over smoked....but since you want more it would have been an idea, even if it were expensive to do
now Im getting away from my knowledge base here, but doesn't a mass of carbon have the same energy whether burned slow or burned fast? ie wont it deliver the same btus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
BigSwole is a member here that can never get enough smoke flavor and he talks about it all the time. i guess he hasn't been around recently or you would know the reference i was making.
now that's funny cos my mesquite using friend is a big dude too). he may be bigswole. I'll ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeswirl View Post
Thats why I have two pellet grills
for ease of use?
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #215
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I truly believe that BigSwole chews creosote-flavored gum.
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #216
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lordy....15 pages

Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #217
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Lordy....15 pages
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #218
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Lordy....15 pages
... Of awesomeness!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #219
2stroke250
Knows what a fatty is.

Gas Grill with a smoke canister filled with hardwood sawdust nice flavor
2stroke250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #220
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Lordy....15 pages
It started going off the tracks 7 pages ago.

Last edited by JokerBroker; 12-13-2017 at 07:53 AM..
JokerBroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #221
travismagee
On the road to being a farker

Honestly, thats what I love about the M1, M36, and M48.

If I'm in the mood for stick burning, I can smoke a whole brisket or anything for that matter with nothing but wood. If I don't feel like baby sitting as much, I will load it up with lump with a few small chunks of wood and go that method. I can throw wood in the firebox and lump up top and do some awesome reverse searing.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #222
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Lordy....15 pages
And a lot of food for thought for somebody like me who's on the stick-burner-edge. So thanks for all the comments on this thread!
LordRiffenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #223
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
And a lot of food for thought for somebody like me who's on the stick-burner-edge. So thanks for all the comments on this thread!
food for thought- you will notice that most of the stickburner guys also have a charcoal burner for their "easy" cooks
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #224
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
food for thought- you will notice that most of the stickburner guys also have a charcoal burner for their "easy" cooks
Most definitely. There's the easy cooks, the fun cooks, and the funnerest cooks. At least one of these types uses charcoal.....
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #225
smokeswirl
Full Fledged Farker

el luchador. Yes for the ease of cooking, cleaning and firing up. I def use it much more because of the convenience
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote