• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Not BBQ, but delicious homemade Arancello

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Reaction score
Been a while since I made a batch. Saw some blood oranges while shopping today and decided to make some up. It's easy, cheap and delicious.

Zest some oranges, be careful not to get the bitter white pith. I used three really big oranges, probably could have used one more.

GVs22LCh.jpg

Put in a mason jar and add some grain alcohol. I'm partial the the Polish stuff, 192 proof. Have a shot and you'll forget how to breathe.

x61yELYh.jpg

Cover it up, stick it on a shelf and wait about 3 to 4 weeks. If you can't get grain alcohol, you can use a use lower proof liquor like vodka or grappa, but you'll need to wait longer for it to pull all the goodness out of the orange zest.

x0gKiArh.jpg

Then to finish things up, you dilute it with water and sweeten it up with sugar. Then throw the bottle in the freezer to keep it ice cold. Unless you dilute it too much, it won't freeze.

You make Limoncello the same way, just substitute lemon zest for orange zest.

I just happen to have a fresh batch of " shine" that would lend itself well to a taste of that.Thanks for the inspiration.

And it's done. Still need to dilute it some more, probably around 80 proof right now. Need to drink some more booze to get more empty bottles.

The orange peels gave it their all...

ThjUnDlh.jpg

Nice bright orange... And potent!

IjNsPY9h.jpg

Once you add the simple syrup, the color totally changes...

MD4zb7Nh.jpg

moCUQU8h.jpg

Into the freezer for a good chill...

VOBL8bfh.jpg

If you add some heavy cream, it tastes just like a Dreamsicle...

iP0yKF5h.jpg

Come on out to the Chicago Brethren bash next Saturday, August 3rd, for a taste test. Or the Texas Bash, October 26th. Still planning on coming down.

That's awesome... looks delicious and really interesting...

... and I've had some good times at Rock Town. :wink:

Back