Minor Issue With Flame Boss 200 Controller

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello brethren. I'm planning a cook tomorrow for some fine folks who work for my local government. I received an email this week from Flame Boss informing me that they just released a new firmware version. I have never received an email of this type from them before, so I was curious as to the reason for this particular email. Anyway, I followed the instructions in the email to update the controller before tomorrow's cook (plug in the AC power supply to the controller, and place the controller near my router for an hour). Checked the controller after an hour, and it was simply displaying the typical data that it displays during a cook.

I went to the Flame Boss support page, and looked up how to get into the menu on the device to check my current firmware version. It is currently running version 2.05.001, so I'm significantly behind, considering that the latest update is version 4. something. I haven't been able to find anything in their support info to tell me how to force a firmware update or to download the latest firmware to the device. It is supposed to do it automatically, so I don't know why it stopped updating on its own. Flame Boss support used to be available on weekends, but it appears they no longer are. Not a big deal - I'm sure the controller will work fine tomorrow, just like it did the last time I used it (a couple of weeks ago). However, if there are any tech type folks available, I was hoping to get this addressed tonight if I can.

Thanks for any replies.

I would probably hold off trying to update it BEFORE your cook tomorrow, just in case something goes wrong. The last time I updated my firmware on my Flameboss 300, something went wrong and WiFi stopped working and I ended up having to send my unit in for some sort of repair. It still controlled the temp and I could read temps on the display, but no connection in the app since it couldnt connect to my WiFi network. Not saying thatll happen to you, but if you are counting on it for tomorrow, might hold off.

My firmware has always auto updated, so unfortunately I am not gonna be much help on forcing a manual update.

I would probably hold off trying to update it BEFORE your cook tomorrow, just in case something goes wrong. The last time I updated my firmware on my Flameboss 300, something went wrong and WiFi stopped working and I ended up having to send my unit in for some sort of repair. It still controlled the temp and I could read temps on the display, but no connection in the app since it couldnt connect to my WiFi network. Not saying thatll happen to you, but if you are counting on it for tomorrow, might hold off.

That's not bad advice, and I think I'll heed it. It's not trying to update anyway, and I don't know how to force it. So I'll just use it as is. Should be a short cook... pork steaks. That's my go to dish for large groups. I'll be cooking for 15 or 16 people tomorrow if the rain holds off. The recipients are our local 911 dispatchers. Tough job, and I would like to do something to encourage them. Already talked to a manager there about it, and she was excited. I didn't commit to tomorrow, because of rain being in the forecast. But she said I could make it whenever it works for me, just give them a call (she gave me a number for a supervisor) to let them know I'll be dropping it off. Looking forward to it.

Not that I would try to force it, but when you tried your update that went awry, did you have to initiate it, or was it something it did by itself?

Not much help here...mine has always just started downloading as soon as i turn it on.

Mine used to do that, and I don't know why it stopped. I'm wondering if they are going to stop supporting the version I have, because it is an older model. I've had it for 3 years. I don't really want to replace it right now, but I would if I had to.

Update - I received an email in response to a message I sent to Flame Boss tech support. Evidently, for the model I have, the firmware version that it is running is the latest version. That's good, it means it's still downloading firmware updates the way it's supposed to. I guess the original email about a new firmware release was unclear about which models the update was for, or I was too tired to read it clearly. Anyway, I guess there isn't a problem after all.

Update #2 - I ended up not cooking the pork steaks I was planning, due to crummy weather. I told the 911 manager that it would be tricky to make it happen on a rainy day, and she was very understanding. Now, it will have to be put off for a couple more weeks, as the next two Saturdays are committed to other things. I swear this has to be the rainiest Spring I've ever seen.

Back