Blaze aluminum Kamado...up close and personal

Just a dumb observation, but one of the advantages of having a gasket is that you can run probe wires through it. Cool video.

I think it's an interesting observation. Thermoworks recently posted on their blog that it's a bad idea to route the cables on a probe thermometer through the chimney/vent because it can be significantly hotter than the cooking temperature and damage even their high heat probes. Not sure what alternatives would be on one of these.

Justin, nice interview and walk through with the product owner.

I considered the Blaze when I was looking for a replacement for my BC Cypress. The other contenders were the Goldens' Cast Iron and the Caliber Stainless Steel. All had pros and cons, all were what I would consider newcomers to the Kamado market and for me it all came down to features and ultimately, price.

IIRC, the Blaze was considerably more than the Goldens' when the cart was factored in to the price. The other area I wasn't keen about was having to reach into the cooker and remove the grates to pull out the ash pan for cleaning. They show it as a plus, I viewed it as a minus.

Pricewise, the Caliber was even more expensive and out of my consideration. It's one heck of a good looking Kamado, though.

As folks know, I took a chance with the Goldens' and for me, it's paid off. I'm sure, had I bought a Blaze Kamado, I would have been happy with it.

The alternatives for non-ceramic Kamados are thin. It's good to see what's out there in the market and Justin's vids are certainly appreciated.

-Dom

Thanks for the feedback on this. I really appreciate it. Golden's was one of the booths I didn't make it to. I wish I would have but we ran out of time and forgot until we got home. I'm glad you found something that you are happy with.

What are your thoughts, in general, about non-ceramic kamados? The Blaze, Golden and Caliber all look interesting but I'm interested in your thoughts if there are any real advantages to non-ceramic cookers? Caliber advertises that the exterior of their kamado stays cool to the touch but I'm interested if there are other advantages (other than durability). Thanks!

What are your thoughts, in general, about non-ceramic kamados? The Blaze, Golden and Caliber all look interesting but I'm interested in your thoughts if there are any real advantages to non-ceramic cookers? Caliber advertises that the exterior of their kamado stays cool to the touch but I'm interested if there are other advantages (other than durability). Thanks!

It's not really an issue of metal vs ceramic as much as what you choose to do with the quality of the material you are using. Generally speaking, ceramic feels more solid, looks better, and is better at holding temps. Generally speaking, metal is more durable, lighter and flexible which gives you more options than ceramic. Most of the metal kamados have leveraged that in some way.

Last edited:
AZKeith, I have no idea where your PM to me disappeared to, but the price you mentioned on the Caliber seemed reasonable. My experience with non ceramics are the Goldens and the Bubba Keg ( now the Broil King Keg) and have been favorable. I can't say how the Caliber will behave over its lifetime.

The other important issue you might want to consider is company longevity. Companies like Weber and Big Green Egg have been in business for some time and should remain. Just something to consider if you need warranty service.

The other non ceramic to consider is the Weber Summit. Justin owns one and has posted a number of YouTube vids about it on his channel.

Best of luck in your decision.

Another Great Video Justin and Thank you!

Dang, I want one of those rigs now. If he covered it in the video I missed it. What is the cooking diameter of that rig?

AZKeith, I have no idea where your PM to me disappeared to, but the price you mentioned on the Caliber seemed reasonable. My experience with non ceramics are the Goldens and the Bubba Keg ( now the Broil King Keg) and have been favorable. I can't say how the Caliber will behave over its lifetime.

The other important issue you might want to consider is company longevity. Companies like Weber and Big Green Egg have been in business for some time and should remain. Just something to consider if you need warranty service.

The other non ceramic to consider is the Weber Summit. Justin owns one and has posted a number of YouTube vids about it on his channel.

Best of luck in your decision.

Yeah, I love my Summit.

Is that different than rusting?

Yes, "The process of aluminum corrosion is known as oxidation. The resulting aluminum oxide is a thin, hard layer that actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide appears as a powdery white or dull gray coating."

Does the aluminum on the Blaze have that weird texture of say aluminum backpacking pots, or some aluminum Dutch ovens? It's almost like a fingernail on a blackboard kind of feel.

The blaze Kamado has a port for the wires and can accept a rotisserie standard. My neighbor has one and loves it.

Thanks, didn’t realize that but probably should have based on knowing about then rotisserie

So what are the big differentiators then?

Man, It's honestly hard to think of anything that's the same. literally everything about the Blaze and Keg is different.

Aluminum vs porcelain coated steal
solid cast aluminum body vs dual walled oven insulation body
hex shaped heavy duty SS grates vs cast iron with raised spin grate
built in rotis available vs hitch available
No gasket vs gasket
The vents are different
the prices are different.
The warranties are different
Just by looking at the design I'm sure the keg is more efficient and probably a lot lighter.
The blaze has an internal ash pan.
Unless it's changed the keg has an internal metal firebox with the Blaze doesn't have (or need)

I honestly can't think of much similar about them except the fact that they are both non-ceramic kamados.

Do you have any specific questions or am I covering the bases?

Man, It's honestly hard to think of anything that's the same. literally everything about the Blaze and Keg is different.

Aluminum vs porcelain coated steal
solid cast aluminum body vs dual walled oven insulation body
hex shaped heavy duty SS grates vs cast iron with raised spin grate
built in rotis available vs hitch available
No gasket vs gasket
The vents are different
the prices are different.
The warranties are different
Just by looking at the design I'm sure the keg is more efficient and probably a lot lighter.
The blaze has an internal ash pan.
Unless it's changed the keg has an internal metal firebox with the Blaze doesn't have (or need)

I honestly can't think of much similar about them except the fact that they are both non-ceramic kamados.

Do you have any specific questions or am I covering the bases?

No, but your points are basically differences which I guess is what I asked for, but only a couple of them appear to be distinct "advantages". I think the products are likely very similar in terms of capabilities.

This is coming from a guy who owns multiple Blaze appliances in his outdoor kitchen and loves them. I just don't see a huge benefit/difference in what I saw versus the keg I used to own, but I could be wrong.

No, but your points are basically differences which I guess is what I asked for, but only a couple of them appear to be distinct "advantages". I think the products are likely very similar in terms of capabilities.

This is coming from a guy who owns multiple Blaze appliances in his outdoor kitchen and loves them. I just don't see a huge benefit/difference in what I saw versus the keg I used to own, but I could be wrong.

Oh I’m sorry. I misunderstood your question. My bad. I think most of the benefit is wrapped up in longevity and the lack of a gasket. That said it’s hard to really nail it down without having cooked on the blaze

Back