He posted on the page in question that posts had gotten ugly and he had to delete them. Mr Boston is worried that all the stories will get out and customers will dry up. That is my biggest fear, he won’t have another deposit coming in to fund my builds because he isn’t pushing out enough builds to cover his salary. I own a business losing money and I don’t take a salary because of it. Mr. Boston’s Smoker was supposed to change that, but I have gone further in debt by doing business with him. He told my BBQ today that we can sue him all we want, or something to that effect. As long as it itsnt criminal he just doesn’t care. He wants to talk about how good his stuff is but nobody is getting anything and if they get it they are so mad about how long it took that they dare not post anything in fear everyone will jump in and try to find out if Mr Boston took their money before or after. I have a welder buddy and he said 2 weeks to build it and he doesn’t do it for a living each day.

And Mr Boston can’t help contacting me via a text message. Here it is:

You are a out and out liar! I cannot even believe you are saying some of this B'S!

This is a guy holding $10,500 of my money who promised me and my BBQ guy a smoker within 2-4 weeks. Here we sit 100+ and I still have no smoker. He wants to get in arguments with folks who are customers of his. Guess how many folks I will probably personally tell not to do business with him, probably not many but I certainly won’t recommend him.

Here is a text Mr Boston sent to me back in December I believe:

And as I stated before I put yours in the mix to try and meet a close deadline. Not putting you at the end of the list. And yes I have a bunch of orders and more coming almost every week. I have a very good reputation and a very good price

December 20th, long past the 2-4 week deadline I get this text from Mr Boston:

We are at the hospital with Cissy she's on life support. They are taking her off this evening we are waiting on a few family members to make it. I'm very sorry. I never planned any of this. I hope after we get over this i can finish your orders and we can move on past this and hope you can understand and not let this affect any future business between us. If you choose not to I completely understand. I will be in touch with you after we lay her to rest and get our heads straight. My sincerest apologies for the lack of communication and delay. I can assure it that it wasn't just not caring there have been extenuating circumstance
involved.

It was another 2 weeks before he would reach back out. Mind you I was give a 2-4 timeframe for this build. I don’t want to demean anybody or anything, but this builder took my business money and understood it was for my business. If Mr. Boston wants to continue to try to blame everyone else and lie to everyone here I will have my BBQ post his texts from Mr Boston as well. Arguing with your clients will surely lead to more business because the customer is always wrong!

Before I gave Mr Boston money via a wire transfer I texted this to him:

Any chance on the smoker being in town by Thanksgiving? What do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Anyway to get a quote for both projects?

His response:

Not sure I could make it by thanksgiving. I could try. Send me your email address I'll send you a invoice for each one. Then we just need to get deposits on each one and I'll get started

So we now know he has outright lied to me because he had to know on October 28th that he couldn’t get this smoker to me. So who tried to get in front of other folks? I asked a question and he claimed he would try, so should I expect that after another 70 days I still wouldn’t have a smoker. If he had been honest on his build times I would have chosen a different builder and he knows that. If Mr Boston wants to come on here and call folks liars he better make sure they can prove him wrong with his own words. I am literally just copy and pasting his text to me.

and I was considered a bad person for earlier posts about this piece of ----!
Hey DB, I thought you were off this forum????

I ignored this thread for 6 weeks and here I am, post #187 and just got off a roller coaster! I feel for all parties involved, mostly the customers and victims.

Also to note, it doesn't take long to comment on this board. No need to bring that up as a time expense. Unless you suck at typing. Just sayin'.

Admin, you should lock this thread now.

It isn't representing the posters of bbq brethren in a good light.

Let's everybody Pat him on the back for trying to do the best he can

The ordeals highlighted in this thread really underscore how important keeping commitments is to establishing, building, and maintaining trust with customers, and at the same time how easy it is to destroy.

And after reading this unmitigated s***show of a customer service display, I am BEYOND thankful for people like Paul and Tyler Shirley - and other reputable pitmakers - who continually go above and beyond to keep their commitments to their customers.

Best of luck to those working through their issues with Mr. Boston.

:cool:
Admin, you should lock this thread now.

It isn't representing the posters of bbq brethren in a good light.
Uh yea, how about no. This thread should have already been a sticky by now.

I wonder what would happen if a customer took a long time to make final payment? If Mr Boston is really “Robbing Peter to pay Paul” then if when Mr Boston requested the final payment and the customer said I will get that to you soon, maybe 2 weeks max?

My problem going forward is that to get the trailer I am supposed to give Mr Boston more money. I explained to Mr Boston before that I had a real problem trusting him with my money again. I could pay for the grill/smoker because I guess I would get a picture of the smoker with a request for final payment. The trailer however will only be finished, Mr Boston’s words, when I give him another payment. I really have no interest in trusting him on a different timeline after already giving him 30% of the money for it back on October 30th. 100+ days later no drawings have been received, no pictures of progress, no specific delivery date, and according to Mr Boston’s own words if he had my trailer shell on his property he would be asking for more money to purchase the equipment to go into the trailer.

If you take Mr Boston’s statement as fact you are believing that my deposit money is still in his account, but yet he claims my smoker is almost done. The information doesn’t make sense. If he purchased my trailer shell already then how is my deposit money in his bank account. How can any of my deposit money sit in a frozen account 100+ days into a 2-4 week and a stated 4-6 week build.

As a fellow small business owner I know the requirements of doing business with another business and the requirements to act in a responsible fiduciary way. I am troubled by a business owner who uses personal tragedies as an excuse to continue to screw folks. Mr Boston assumes that the rest of us have no personal problems or family tragedies.

I don’t personally believe that Mr Boston is simply robbing peter to Paul. What I think has happened is that Mr Boston is paying himself a salary that his business can’t afford to pay him and since he has taken deposits and not delivered on products for so long that he has to push out a smoker to get his salary. That doesn’t leave money in the business for a “rainy day.” If your business isn’t making money then you have to roll up your sleeves and work harder and you better make sure you do your very best for each customer. You better make sure you get repeat business and that you treat each customer better than you treat your family. In a struggling business you can’t just demean your customers and lie about them.

Mr Boston has been dealing with a timeline issues since February of 2016 according to his Facebook business page. I saw apologies for delays in getting builds out as far back as February 2016. How long should customers expect to put up with this. Building a superior product doesn’t allow you to screw people. I love the product that I see on Mr Boston’s website. I truly believe he builds good stuff. I do also believe that Mr Boston should treat fellow small business owners better because he knows how hard it is to compete against the big companies. Mr Boston believes that since my BBQ guy has been able to borrow a grill, which he has no idea how much I have had to pay to borrow the smoker, that is ok because I am selling food. I purchased his biggest grill on his website and asked for it to be painted a fire engine red color with a yellow trailer so it would stand out and attract attention.

Everyone knows we don't moderate on content but live by our rules and a free flow of information, but you all need to pocket the torches and pitch folks.

Your points have been made , many have expressed their opinions and this is no longer constructive. Both parties involved has stated their side of story, each with a different view , and none of us are privy to either. It seems the authorities and lawyers have been involved and further dog piling in the thread is not going to help the situation. Any further comments needs to be civil, constructive and factual. Theres alot of third party conjecture here, and anything considered to be dog piling, name calling or personal attacks will be deleted and WILL lead to a thread lockdown. Keep it civil

This board was able to get Brian's deposit back as the two parties were able to work together to get it done. While I don't see you getting your deposit back in 30 days, I understand your latest request is to get your smoker and the shell of the trailer delivered.

Mr. Boston, I know you stated that you "stopped working" on his build because the deposit was frozen. Are you willing to send him the smoker and the trailer shell that you were working on prior to you stopping? If you are, how long would it take for you to get him those products?

If that will solve the problem without the need for attorney's, etc., and both parties could live with it, that would be the best way to resolve this issue.

This board was able to get Brian's deposit back as the two parties were able to work together to get it done. While I don't see you getting your deposit back in 30 days, I understand your latest request is to get your smoker and the shell of the trailer delivered.

Mr. Boston, I know you stated that you "stopped working" on his build because the deposit was frozen. Are you willing to send him the smoker and the trailer shell that you were working on prior to you stopping? If you are, how long would it take for you to get him those products?

If that will solve the problem without the need for attorney's, etc., and both parties could live with it, that would be the best way to resolve this issue.

I never said I wouldn't send him what he paid for. I have even stressed that to him and his bbq guy. But at this point it's like there is no deposit with the funds frozen. And even though his actual money was used to purchase materials the bank has frozen the account and the exact amount he disputes also they called me to let me know that it was his transfer that caused this. That being said if I give home the smoker and a trailer shell and I don't get the money then I have built them for free. That's the only thing I've tried to explain to him since he called the bank.
Prior to that he would have had his smoker in the the time given. But we have spent the better part of the last year in hospitals and then dealing with her passing. Does that make me a crook? No, it makes me human and care for my family. This could have all been avoided based on what I was told by authorities that they told him.

As soon as the bank releases the funds his jobs will get finished. If they don't release the funds I assume they will be sent back to him

He trusted you, and sent a deposit. The funds were frozen due to the time elapsed. It is not unreasonable that happened. I know you feel the need to defend yourself, but he isn't the bad guy here, either. I went through a similar experience on a smaller scale on some hotrod bumpers. There was an actual health issue with a family member in the business and my stuff would not be shipped. On the last day to recoup my money through PayPal, that is what I did. In no way was I going to be out my money and my parts, regardless of the suppliers issues. Once the money came back in play, I got my stuff.I hope you get things worked out on your end. Since the deposit bought the materials, the job could be finished and the dispute would end...

>> As soon as the bank releases the funds his jobs will get finished.

Figures. A power move.

The frozen funds is the customer's only leverage. The only protection he has dealing with you.

With that said, the bank isnt going to freeze the money forever no matter what the customer and 'builder' wants. Why, exactly, is the bank freezing money? Is the bank going to refund to the customer?

He trusted you, and sent a deposit. The funds were frozen due to the time elapsed. It is not unreasonable that happened. I know you feel the need to defend yourself, but he isn't the bad guy here, either. I went through a similar experience on a smaller scale on some hotrod bumpers. There was an actual health issue with a family member in the business and my stuff would not be shipped. On the last day to recoup my money through PayPal, that is what I did. In no way was I going to be out my money and my parts, regardless of the suppliers issues. Once the money came back in play, I got my stuff.I hope you get things worked out on your end. Since the deposit bought the materials, the job could be finished and the dispute would end...

I never said he was the bad one. He's the customer and deserves what he paid for, however at this point he technically has not paid me for anything.
I told him and the investigators that come out and seen his smoker sitting here that as soon as the funds were returned I would finish his jobs. They 100% agreed that that's how it should work.

As far as why the funds are frozen it's because he reported a fraudulent wire transfer, that is why they are investigating because I had to take all paperwork to show he sent the wire freely and voluntarily.
So they are looking into his false dispute until that is over neither of us have the money.
So no it's not a power move or control issue it's the way things should be.
Not one of you here can say you would build a smoker and give it to a customer with no payment. It's not that they are holding it to assure the job is complete it's the way he tried to report it.
So if that makes me bad so be it, but no one gives a several thousand dollar smoker, car, atv, jewelry,etc away without payment!

Back