• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kansas City bbq suggestions

JAKs Q & brew

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am in KC for a meeting downtown. I have time after to get some Q.

Any recommendations for places to try? I've been the Jack Stacks and Arthur Bryant's in the past, so looking for a different option

Thanks

From downtown you aren't too far from Slaps BBQ. I was impressed with their food when I went.

I hear a lot of good comments on Q39, but my family didn't think it was worth it for the cost/serving size/crowd/dealing with hipsters.

I stopped at Joes KC bbq a year ago while making a bonzai run from Minneapolis to Dallas. That place was all the rage last year. It is a repurposed gas station (I guess that's cool) and the wait at the door was 1.5 hrs. OR you could call the order in and pick it up. Obviously we did that.

If I'm being honest is was just decent. Nothing special or out of the ordinary. I was especially excited to try true KC burnt ends. They were good but again nothing memorable.

Possibly some of the issue is what different regions consider good bbq. In my mind if the BBQ is good enough it doesn't need sauce. Up in KC they are big saucers. The meat was good and the sauce was good. None of it was WOW awesome or ever make me want to wait in line to eat more.

Apologies if this is your local favorite.

Arthur Bryant's on Brooklyn Ave is decent... the atmosphere is pretty cool... A lot of history!

Edit: Doh! Just saw the rest of your post that youve done AB's... Oh well :roll:

Last edited:
Back