Spanish Serrano Aged Ham at Costco

Oh....

I love Serrano ham. This is very tempting, especially with Christmas coming.

Saw these my last Costco expedition.
I was tempted.
I think they were $89.99 here. I should probably get two of them...

Forgive my ignorance. But what is so special about these hams? I'm sure its a blasphemous question, but from what I have researched online, these are usually served thin sliced as like an appetizer. Sort of like a prosciutto. Is a whole one of these at $100 worth it? How is it different from a country VA ham?

Oh my- The Bean Pot

I'm trying to convince the wife but in normal fashion, she has no vision lol

Might have to sneak out of the house and grab one.

14 lbs? Even if only half is edible that's still a very good deal.

Best ham I ever ate was a special Iberico - fed only acorns. The meat was actually black and had an out of this world flavor. $125 a lb and worth it.

Edit: Had to look it up. It's called Pata Negra.

Question for those of you in the know. What kind of preparation for that guy. Do you need to warm/braise/whatever, or just slice thin at room temp and go?

I have been wanting to purchase a Costco membership for a while.Sam's is much closer.I think you may have just sealed the deal for me. :thumb:

Forgive my ignorance. But what is so special about these hams? I'm sure its a blasphemous question, but from what I have researched online, these are usually served thin sliced as like an appetizer. Sort of like a prosciutto. Is a whole one of these at $100 worth it? How is it different from a country VA ham?

A CURED VA ham can be served the same way.Most people just don't do it.Not sure why.Cured ham is cured ham.The Spanish Iberico and Serrano are supposed to be the best in the world but I imagine Allan Benton would disagree.

I guess that would be me:

f4VifvSl.jpg

imBf08Nl.jpg

VhK7q3Gl.jpg

If you like prosciutto, or jamon serrano, you will not be disappointed. Stand is sturdy and the supplied knife is also very good. Absolutely worth the price.

I'm definitely not disappointed one bit. I've spent time in Spain (Madrid) on business, so I love the stuff. It's great. When you pull it out of the bag, it's gonna smell a bit like old fat. Do not worry! Your first slices off the top won't be all that great. Do not worry! After sitting out for a couple of weeks, it now smells heavenly. The slices deeper in are amazing. I don't refrigerate it, I just cover the cut area with saran wrap and throw a tea towel over it. If it starts getting a bit moldy, just wipe it down with vinegar. Don't wipe too hard as you don't want to take the protective outer layer off. White mold you don't have to worry about, green gets the vinegar and black...well, black is bad but you shouldn't have a problem with that.

It is an amazing deal. It also requires a fair bit of (tasty) practice to get the proper see-thru thin slices. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one next year.

Sleebus is my new hero. I wish I could put away enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Hell, I might just go get one anyway. I have a little extra cash sitting around.

Sleebus is my new hero. I wish I could put away enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Hell, I might just go get one anyway. I have a little extra cash sitting around.

Awww :icon_blush:

The great thing about air-cured meats is that they pretty much last forever. Mine has been sitting on my counter for weeks with no ill effect, and seems to be getting tastier. It could hang out there for a year with no problem.

Just checked and my Costco has them. Think I will trot on down.

That's the spirit! :thumb:

Back