I use Green wood to smoke with (and other oddities)

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Growing up in NC was a blessing that I did not and could not realize at the time.

Looking back, I did not know that I was learning techniques passed down through generations. If I had, I would’ve paid more attention.

One of these things is cooking with green(ish) wood.
Now I don’t know if it was green due to circumstances (certainly a lot of hickory everywhere) or due to preference, but I do know that it produces a product unlike any other.

Through experimentation, I have concluded the sweet spot for Hickory is 3-6 months after being cut.
Fruit woods are good to go, from the moment they’re cut.

To burn green wood; you need a hot base fire and small logs (or splits).
To smoke with green hickory, it is best to pre-burn the wood and use the hot coals and embers from that to smoke with. (A pre-burn barrel with a hole cut in the bottom to accommodate a shovel works well)

In November I am hosting a pig picking. I will be using a traditional Carolina block pit.

Today I harvested a Pignut Hickory tree from the back woods, to use for my hog in November.

f749285069661bc0563f0e5dfbc6a500.jpg

What cooking techniques or habits do you do that would be considered odd by some (or most)?

Last edited:
My odd BBQ quirk : I hate the notion that to BBQ you must also be consuming alcohol.

Honorable Mention : Pecan wood is by far and away the best smoking wood for every single occasion. I'll fight to the death over this! ; )

Pecan wood is almost impossible to find in my area.

As far as the alcohol is concerned….the beer fridge is just steps away from the bbq area.
While it’s not required, it is convenient :)

I'll split that hair for discussion sake...
If you pre-burn wood aren't you cooking with lump? The "green" is long gone by the time it gets into the firebox. I'm not saying it isn't a great flavor because so many have done it before so it has to be worth all the effort.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'll split that hair for discussion sake...
If you pre-burn wood aren't you cooking with lump? The "green" is long gone by the time it gets into the firebox. I'm not saying it isn't a great flavor because so many have done it before so it has to be worth all the effort.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sort of…

It does have a different flavor than lump made from (dry) construction debris though. ;)

I have a friend that has owned a couple BBQ Restaurants. Another friend that has owned one. They all used green hickory. I used to buy their "too dry" hickory for my fireplace. Sadly they've both moved on from restaurants. Those were good times. I could have a blend of mesquite and hickory in my fireplace and lay a blanket of goodness over my neighborhood. Green Hickory rocks

Pecan is far and away my favorite cooking wood. It was readily available in Louisiana, but not so much since I moved to Virginia.

Protip: If you live near an Ace Hardware, you can order the kiln-dried B&B Pecan online and ship-to-store for free (They have most varieties of wood available). It ain't cheap, but at least you can get it. I signed up for Ace Rewards and get coupons periodically. I just ordered 3 bags for $25.99 ea with a "$15 off $75" coupon. It came out to $62 and change. I'll start my pit with oak from the firewood place and add pecan just before I put meat on. Then I'll switch back to oak if I wrap.

Regarding green wood - I've never used it, but I was watching some BBQ show a couple years ago and they were following Myron Mixon. He went to a peach farm to cut green branches to use at a comp.

I have used wood that some would consider green, or not seasoned enough. Too much of the smoke can be problematic, but good venting and adjustments for more air flow seem to take the edge off. Not lost sleep over it, or postponed a cook because of it.

Back