Finally emptied my wallet and bought Carne Crosta

SmokeRingsMatter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
At $24/lb, This stuff is so expensive. I hope its worth it. Luckily Grocery store has a sale on choice Ribeye's for $5.99/lb. I'll make sure to pick up a few family packs before the powder gold arrives.

Someone post some pics of this stuff in action to ease the pain.

I would have bought the ribeye sliced it up and marinated

What do you think is in that rub? Gold dust? Ground coffee ain't worth $20/lb.

I don't know what is in it, but i was amazed at the crust on some of the steaks i seen members post using this stuff. I could have bought a smaller amount, but $24/lb seemed like the best deal if i end up really liking it.

Wish someone would post up some pics. Im starting to get buyers remorse.

Good for you, hope you enjoy it as much as you are expecting. We all need to splruge once in a while. Keep us posted on your cook.

It is good stuff. Really needs the best to set the crust. Here are some

e7767b19b5e48c1a398406e83f719f89.jpg

c4ea6a1ce3f679eecd83b292df27d349.jpg

36b148f16a3ddb2e653e93ceef42de4d.jpg

c9bd5a39dd6eb64a1b9c0663bb7d033f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

.....Im starting to get buyers remorse.

I know what you mean. The few times I splurge and buy something like that, I hope that it's good enough that I'm happy and ok that I purchased it that time, but not so good that it makes me want to keep purchasing!

Oakridge makes great stuff. I highly recommend the sample packs for those deciding which ones to buy. I realized I loved Santa Maria and Secret Weapon. Dominator and Black Ops...not so much. :noidea:

My advice - more seasoning is better than less to properly develop the crust, the coating I apply on mine makes it so the meat is barely visible. Cook on higher heat, not nuclear, but whatever your grill takes to develop a nice Maillard reaction is where you should be. The steak will look black/burnt when properly done, and that's OK. When I use only CC on steak, I'll often apply a light finishing salt after cooking. It's not required, but CC isn't particularly salty and for my tastes I like just a bit more. Other times I'll mix CC with Santa Maria seasoning, in which case I don't apply a finishing salt.

Example

Last edited:
If a $20 bag of rub emptied my wallet, I would find a different hobby. But carne crosta is really good stuff.

Its just an old saying when something cost more then YOU (me) think it should. Like i said, if guys like @sudsandswine didn't post pics like that, i wouldn't have even considered paying $24/lb but with pics like that, i have to try it....at least....once.

I can't imagine how much it would cost to coat an entire 15lb+ packer in this stuff....it prolly cost more then the packer, lol.

Even a smaller bag of CC lasts me quite a while, because I am typically only seasoning a couple steaks at a time which still uses less rub than doing something like a pork butt or brisket. I buy the 1lb bags now because I like to give handouts to people to try, but it'll keep for quite a while in the bags Oakridge uses provided you don't abuse it too badly.

My advice is to find a nicely marbled ribeye for your first go with it, I think it compliments fattier/richer beef especially well. I've used it on strips, filets, etc and it works great there too.

I don't care what the Oakridge folks charge for the Carne Crosta: its some seriously good rub for a great crust on a steak. I don't remember what I paid but I have bought it directly from the Oakridge folks via the mail and I found it at my local BBQ supply store and have bought it there too.

I am a value oriented person. If the value is there, I'm all in. Carne Crosta is outstanding on steak. That's enough for me.

Trying It For The First Time

We're giving it a go today on a Tri-tip. Going 50/50 Oakridge Santa Maria and Carne Crosta...

I used it once and wasn't impressed. I also completely ignored the directions on the back which clearly state to cook at high heat. After seeing and reading posts on here I realized (ok reconfirmed) I'm a fool fool and should have followed the directions.

Going to cook a couple filets Saturday. One with our homemade seasoning and one with Carne. Will follow directions this time!

My plan is to lightly season both with AP, cook low temp until 120, pull and season with carne then throw on grill grates (inverted) at high temp until done.

Looking forward to giving it another try.

Back