Spatchcocked rotisseried yardbird

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After getting one of my failed rotisserie motors replaced by Weber (thanks, Weber!), I am finally back up and running with my Weber 22" kettle rotisserie again. And I've been cooking chicken...lots of it. Of all the ways that I cook chicken, this one is my favorite...something about spinning around, getting fried in its own salty fatty delicious juices just can't be replicated in any other way.

Normally I do either chicken parts like quarters, legs, or thighs, or some combination thereof in a basket, or I do whole uncut chicken trussed and put on the spitrod, sometimes two at a time.

However, I've never tried spatchcocking a chicken and cooking it in the rotisserie basket...I thought the uniform flat shape and increased surface area would produce good results, and I was right!

I seasoned it with Bob's Smokin' Southern BBQ seasoning, which I got in a Brethren trade round - it's been a big hit in our house and I used the last of it on this chicken. I need to order more.

https://www.smokinsouthernbbq.com/

Then rolled the chicken back into its normal shape, wrapped tightly in foil, and let it chill in the fridge for 8 hours.

Into the basket she goes - tight fit! This is the basket I have - sometimes I wish it were bigger, but if it were it'd extend out over the charcoal baskets at the perimeter and get direct heat, so it's fine.

Pressed flat by the basket lid - you know those pieces that bulge through the grate are going to get tasty

Onto the grill using Kingsford Professional briquettes and a couple chunks of cherry

Just a few more minutes to go

Then about 1 hour after it went in the grill, we have this - vvv click me to view its full resolution goodness

I have another spatcocked chicken in the fridge seasoned a different way that I plan to also do in the roti-basket tomorrow.

Nice Suds! What size bird was that? I got to try this

Guessing it was between 4 and 5 lbs, I bought them in a 2 pack so not exactly sure. I was initially concerned about it fitting in the basket.

Those birds look fantastic!

I have a rotisserie for my gas grill but now I need one for my new kettle. Thanks for showing how you do this!

Niiiiiiiiice! :eusa_clap

...money for nothing and your chicks rotisserie!

Looks awesome,stunning colour on that chook,, thats a very common accessory down here.
Boned leg or shoulder of lamb goes very well in one

Looks awesome,stunning colour on that chook,, thats a very common accessory down here.
Boned leg or shoulder of lamb goes very well in one

It’s been a while, but I’ve done lamb on there before, turns out great :thumb:

I sit down to enjoy a nice quiet evening and now you have me looking at spending money on something I did not know I needed. Good job!

I sit down to enjoy a nice quiet evening and now you have me looking at spending money on something I did not know I needed. Good job!

Cook a cheap meal at home with it a few times instead of going out and it practically pays For itself :becky: see how easy that decision is? You basically can’t afford not to! (Is how I wind up with so many cookers)

Oh, Good Lawd! - That looks excellent.

You've got another "trusted agent" in the 505 / ABQ these days. Send up a light signal a la "Green Chile Man" and we'll see what we can get moving in that direction.

Kind regards to you and the family.

Oh, Good Lawd! - That looks excellent.

You've got another "trusted agent" in the 505 / ABQ these days. Send up a light signal a la "Green Chile Man" and we'll see what we can get moving in that direction.

Kind regards to you and the family.

I may have to take you up on that soon :thumb: I used the last of my red on Cinco de Mayo and the green is almost done for too - it’s good stuff :clap2:

Looks fantastic!! Never did a chicken in a basket, but I do have the Weber roto.

Back