offset mods....

creepyrat

Knows what a fatty is.
so far i have found a few, i'm using a char-broil american gourmet from wally world, (its an offset)

i picked up some expanded metal to build a larger grate for the fire box, some flashing since it was non galvanized from a house i worked on to make some sort of deflector from the firebox to the cooking chamber. last but not least some foil pans to fill with sand to line the bottom of the cooker to try and retain some heat.

are there any other suggestions? i am thinking about getting some high temp rtv to put around the door to act as a gasket also.

are there any chimney mods i should think about doing?

I started out wiht one of those. I loved it and out grew it with in a year. You can learn a lot with it. I did not mod the chimney.

CR, never had one of those offsets, but seen advise on this board to LOWER the inside chimney to right above the grate. This is easily accompished by cutting a soup can or tomato juice can lenghtwise, then rolling it up smaller to fit inside your chimney from the inside. that way you can slip it up and down to get the right measurement. Idea here is to delay the heat (and smoke from escaping till it fills the chamber and drafts up just above grate level.

Instead of sand in a pan I use some fire brick wraped in tin foil. After every cook I change the foil. Works great!

Instead of sand in a pan I use some fire brick wraped in tin foil. After every cook I change the foil. Works great!

Thats a great idea, on foolish question tho..... How much of the bottom do you recommend that I cover up to help?

thanks for the replies, ill check out the chimney level when the snow drifts go away again lol.

i actually looked around for fire brick but the friendly neighborhood home depot was its typical non friendly self and i walked out after wandering for 30 minutes.

Back