MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #61
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I would try to get it running at a higher temp and see if it wants to stabilize better there. 225* is pretty low...unnecessarily low, IMO. Some cookers just run better at certain temps. I also wouldnt sweat temp swings...most stick burners have 30-50* swings between the peaks and valleys and the food quality is not sacrificed.
Is that up 30-50* or up and down?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #62
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
But why is it the temp quoted everywhere?
It's not a bad temp. It's quoted everywhere because it was THE temp early on. Things evolve. I never buy into letting your cooker run where it wants to but in your case it seems like the cooker is screaming really loudly that it doesn't want to run at 225. Listen...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #63
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Actually one more point.
I never let the temp stabilize before I put the meat on
Basically I fire it up. Get to 225* and pop the meat on

Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #64
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yes, the number is mentioned everywhere. Just ignore it. I think it's just a number passed down through generations. It's nonsense and does not apply anymore. Like in the 70's when my dad would make burgers on the Kettle he would pile up the charcoal, dump a half a gallon of charcoal starter on it and let it rip. Then when the fire deprtment left....that's when the burgers went on coals ready or not. Some people just down know what they are doing or talking about.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #65
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Quote:
Where is everywhere?

I think if you really want 225 with your Summit you should keep experimenting with it. Try a smaller amount of coals and just spend time watching the temp, make tiny adjustments to the vents but give it at least a half hour between adjustments. You will figure it out. If you can't get it to do 225 then do 250 or 275 like we are telling you. Every cooker is a little different and you need to just spend time tinkering with it while you relax and have a cold beverage of your choice. Good luck and have fun, it's just BBQ!
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #66
smoke ninja

your on this board for 5 years and think 225 is the only way. you need to read more. 225 is what cookbook authors think you bbq at after soaking wood chunks in water

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-16-2018, 04:52 AM   #67
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
your on this board for 5 years and think 225 is the only way. you need to read more. 225 is what cookbook authors think you bbq at after soaking wood chunks in water
ha ha very true

Old 10-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #68
4ever3

Quote:
What do you think of your summit?
I love it!

Quote:
Did you light up Waylon?
I did but the Misses wanted chicken so I spatchcocked one at 375°

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #69
smoke ninja

Quote:
ha ha very true
hey not trying to be mean, more like tough love. youve got 5 pages of good advice here, just gotta listen.

i have used an akorn, same principle, air gap insulated steel. they hold temp and take some time to go down (less then ceramics but still). opening the lid can give a temp spike for 30 minutes. it's best to let it settle before making adjustments or you, as you found out will constantly chase temps. when it drifts just wait until it settles and then fine tune with the top vent

Old 10-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #70
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
hey not trying to be mean, more like tough love. youve got 5 pages of good advice here, just gotta listen.

i have used an akorn, same principle, air gap insulated steel. they hold temp and take some time to go down (less then ceramics but still). opening the lid can give a temp spike for 30 minutes. it's best to let it settle before making adjustments or you, as you found out will constantly chase temps. when it drifts just wait until it settles and then fine tune with the top vent
Thanks. I have read and reread these pages.

One question. How long should it be at the set temp before I put the meat on the grill?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #71
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Thanks. I have read and reread these pages.

One question. How long should it be at the set temp before I put the meat on the grill?

It all depends on how hungry you are.

5 minutes or so after the temps stabilize. I'm usually ready to put food on the grill within 20 minutes after lighting it. Longer if I've gotten lazy and haven't cleaned out the old lump enough and there's too much leftover ash in the firebox.

Enjoy your grill, don't fret over ideal temps.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #72
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Is that up 30-50* or up and down?
Up and down...peaks/valleys...think sine wave.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #73
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You really should not put meat on until the exhaust smells right. Run your fingers over the exhaust a couple times and smell them. Will either smell like an ash tray or like bbq. That's how i was taught and it never fails me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #74
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I’m entering the 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking career. I’ve owned 20 plus cookers. But I’m starting to thin the herd. The absolute best two cookers I’ve owned are The Pit Barrel Cooker and my GMG Davy Crockett.

The Pit Barrel Cooker- take it out of the box and start cooking. No chasing temps, no mods, no electronics. Just heat and meat. Light the fire, hang the meat and close the lid. Anyone from 8-80 should be able to cook fantastic food on this unit. It’s the Cooker that taught me to leave things alone- no thermometer so no anxiety over temps. An excellent confidence builder and teacher of lessons in Q

Davy Crockett- clean smoke, super simple- digital read out temp control. Fits our lifestyle on frequent small cooks.

Both of these are no hassle no fuss no muss. The difference between a UDs and The Pit Barrel Cooker

UDS-Build
PBC-remove from package and cook

I’ve sold the PBC. Got 50% of my money back even having owned it 4 years.

Buy a PBC, use it just as it came from the company and it will build your confidence in all your cookers.
Just curious: What do you cook your steaks on?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #75
16Adams

Primo Oval XL as well as the Davy Crockett
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote