• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

the way of the brisket

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
brisket is my spirit animal.

what separates brisket from other bbq is the process. there is something satisfying about the entire cook. from selection to trimming from the cook to the rest period. if you are not following the way you are destined for failure

not all briskets speak to me. one of the first steps to a successful cook is selection.

I always start the cook the night before serving. this time is very therapeutic. the trim is rather heavy. anything that lacks potential is removed.

unless I'm feeding a crowd I may trim alot of meat off. I'd rather grind it up than have leftovers of subpar bbq. this brisket has even thickness on the flat and only a little weird flap on the point so I didn't trim much meat. I also go as far as to round the corners and edges as well as smooth things out a bit.

pepper is briskets spirit animal. it is the only must when seasoning. I always to a coating of whatever rub I'm feeling flavorwise and then enough pepper to satisfy the beef.

after a couple hours we check and flip.

I'm interested to see how you like the pellet compared to stick. :twitch:

we will know at lunchtime. ill tell you that I don't sleep easy with the pellet grill running. it's way better than the traeger but it'll be awhile until I trust it. being that this was my first brisket on this cooker

I cooked straight through, no wrap. cook time for a 12 lbs brisket was 11 hrs. feels fast but it's been awhile since I cooked one straight through with a roaster finish. average temp was about 225.

I don't think I flipped it enough, the fat cap is a little crusty, could be due too not wrapping. the firepot is directly under the center of the cook area and closer than I'd like. I've been concerned this hot spot would be an issue.

this brisket was ready at an internal of 201°, slightly higher than my normal process.

now into the roaster to hold for a few hours wrapped in butcher paper

Looking good.

I have a ~14lb Costco primer packer on as of 5:30 this morning. Spent an hour at 200 degrees and then cranked to 300 for a hot n fast finish with plans to be ready for football this afternoon. Also have 2 butts going and will throw some sausages on later. Might do some beans if I'm feeling enterprising. :)

Will be very interested to see what you think about it. With the addition of the Open Range I have as much capacity as I will ever need, but convenience is an attractive thing for when I don't have time to futz about with fire and temps and the zen of smoking.

I sure get what you are saying about not trusting the cooker with a prime brisket yet.

Bark looks really good. I'm curious what you'll think of the brisket from your pooper vs your other cookers. You're just wrapping and putting in the roaster, no water at the bottom?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Looks good. Will wait for the sliced pics. I find myself checking on the new pellet grill a lot, but I think trust will come quickly.

You're just wrapping and putting in the roaster, no water at the bottom? Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
No, just using the wire grate/rack so the brisket/paper does not come in contact with the hot bottom. Set your hold temp 140-160*
Forget the wire rack and your brisket keeps cooking. Been there done that.

No, just using the wire grate/rack so the brisket/paper does not come in contact with the hot bottom. Set your hold temp 140-160*
But chopped brisket is better than brisket jerky. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's how I tried with the roaster last time. Threw a temp probe in there just to see what it would hold at and without water it was over 250 at the lowest setting.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

busy day here. :becky:'s car broke down last night on the way home from up north. that had to be fixed and I had to "winterize" the yard and do a general final fall cleaning. lunch ended up being close to dinner. the brisket held ok but was probably just past it's best. I deviated from my normal process and timed my service for noon but it ended up being almost 5.

I normally wrap the brisket after 6-8 hours and finish at lower temps before I hold for several hours. this brisket wasn't wrapped in paper until it was finished. I haven't done this in quite a long time.

brisket off the pellet grill was good. some liked the crisper unwrapped bark to my normal bark. I didn't.

Back