OK, so I bought a Thermapen

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For years, I have been wondering why people would spend that much on an instant read thermometer; I get mine off Amazon for less than $20 and they work fine for a couple of years. My 3 year-old thermometer bit the dust and I was just in the mood so I bought a MK4. The entire time - at the register, driving home, opening the packaging - I was silently chanting "I don't need this, I don't need this". A few hours later, I was checking the temp of my chicken and I stopped chanting.

I don't need a Thermapen; I could have cooked the chicken without it. My old instant read only took a couple of seconds longer. There's really no reason to have one, but I'm glad I do! And, I think the chicken actually tasted better!

If you have anything near the same kind of results that I've had with mine, you may never need to buy another one. Just change the battery ever few years instead of buying a whole new thermometer.

There is a lot of things we don't need, that make life better. I was a hold out on Thermapen, for a long time, but I wouldn't want to be without it now.

That couple of seconds is a big deal, when you are trying to temp several pieces of meat, while smoke is billowing in your face. Especially during the dog days of summer, when I am trying to get back to AC as quick as possible. But it is certainly a luxury item.

I think that you'll be a LOT better off buying direct from ThermoWorks that buying from a third party via Amazon. YMMV. I just placed an order with Thermoworks on Monday, - shipped same day, should arrive today. Great service and if you find a "new" Thermapen at a lower price than what ThermoWorks lists, you might want to be cautious about what you're buying.

Here's what they post on their website:

"Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly."

Last edited:
I have had a thermapen for years Actually just got a second as the first was not as accurate I use to have a refurbished one also- did not like it so I got rid of it

Direct Amazon link?
I think he was referring to the old thermometer, but Thermapen doesn't guarantee units bought anywhere besides their own site. The best price I've seen is when they have an open box sale. If you are interested, get on their email list.

I like the speed of my thermapen, but I utterly dislike it not turning on every time I flip it open. Limited time warranty on it so now I just deal with the annoying inconvenience.

That Thermapen injects some secret something or other into the meat every time you use it. But taste depends on the which color you use. Better get several in different colors and taste the difference.

That's why I got mine in red!! Gives everything a great color.

Really tho I have two of the Javelins off amazon and they work fine. One for by the smokers, one for kitchen use. The thermoworks is way faster, but if I wasn't given the Thermapen as a gift I'd never buy one. Can't justify the price tag. it is nicer, but not that much nicer.

Ya i struggle with the $100 price tag. Maybe I need my own thread for best insta-read under $50 :lol:

thermaworks dot or the javelin pro

edit: the dot is the leave in probe. I meant the thermapop

I like the speed of my thermapen, but I utterly dislike it not turning on every time I flip it open. Limited time warranty on it so now I just deal with the annoying inconvenience.

I believe their service cost is under $25 no matter what is wrong with it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! I felt the same way after I finally pulled the trigger on mine. Now its a go to tool and my wife even uses it.
If you dont like the price tag go with the Thermoworks Pop model ($30). It's smaller and not as fast BUT it's backed by Thermoworks and THAT is worth alot IMHO

I've got a MK4, and it's great.

I like:
The display automatically rotates so it's right side up when you read it, regardless of how you're holding it.
It's fast.
The automatic backlight is GREAT, I do a lot grilling in low-light situations after dark, and the backlight is probably my favorite thing about it.

Ya i struggle with the $100 price tag. Maybe I need my own thread for best insta-read under $50 :lol:

Javelin Pro Duo. Back lit and just as fast if not faster than my Thermapen. The website Massdrop has the Javelin Pro Duo on sale right now for $32.99. Legit site. Yes you have to sign up for it. I've bought two of them in the past. No I'm not sponsored or paid from the website. They've sold over 5,000 of them. Easily the best thermometer for the price.

Themapen changed my world. All grilling and smoking aspects improved. I had the original for years then got the MK4. I'm left handed so the rotating display along with the sleep mode when not in use and the backlight. The Wife has a ThermaPop which she loves. Both are great for checking probe tender on brisket packers too.

Back