MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #31
worktogthr
Full Fledged Farker

I think they look damn good! If trying to improve the look for a competition I get it, otherwise, enjoy!
worktogthr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #32
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Ribs

Hi All Thanks for all your replies..You got me thinking must be the wood. By me using 4 different rubs and they all came out the same color, should eliminate the rubs?
Next time less cherry or switch to apple.
Thanks Again
DanB

Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #33
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All Thanks for all your replies..You got me thinking must be the wood. By me using 4 different rubs and they all came out the same color, should eliminate the rubs?
Next time less cherry or switch to apple.
Thanks Again
DanB
Maybe, maybe not. But I would limit or eliminate the moving parts here. There could be one or ten things going on. I would go from the ground up. Without getting into the "why" . . . ground being:

- Simple sugar free rub.
- No wood, only charcoal.
- Foil or sand the water pan. Or even water.
- Don't put your bones on until you reach desired temp and see NO exhaust.
- If you are a temperature person, I would cook anywhere between 225 and 300. Adjust times based on size of the rack and temp. But I wouldn't open the lid for at least 3 hours for a 3lb rack.

I think anything beyond this and you're adding variables again

If these come out to your liking, I would start adding variables back in, in this order.

- Rub
- Wood. No splits though. WSMs benefit the most from chunks.
- Heat sink(s)
- Wrap vs no wrap. Butcher paper or foil.
- Temp

It's also important that you've named your WSM. If you haven't, that's prolly your problem right there. She needs an identity man.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #34
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenbranson View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But I would limit or eliminate the moving parts here. There could be one or ten things going on. I would go from the ground up. Without getting into the "why" . . . ground being:

- Simple sugar free rub.
- No wood, only charcoal.
- Foil or sand the water pan. Or even water.
- Don't put your bones on until you reach desired temp and see NO exhaust.
- If you are a temperature person, I would cook anywhere between 225 and 300. Adjust times based on size of the rack and temp. But I wouldn't open the lid for at least 3 hours for a 3lb rack.

I think anything beyond this and you're adding variables again

If these come out to your liking, I would start adding variables back in, in this order.

- Rub
- Wood. No splits though. WSMs benefit the most from chunks.
- Heat sink(s)
- Wrap vs no wrap. Butcher paper or foil.
- Temp

It's also important that you've named your WSM. If you haven't, that's prolly your problem right there. She needs an identity man.
And that advice right there is straight out of the "Troubleshooting 101" textbook. Take complex systems (i.e. situations with many variables) back to their most basic level and then change things ONE Variable At a Time. Otherwise you can stay very busy chasing the issue and never get anywhere.

Good Luck!
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #35
Clasko2
Full Fledged Farker

Hey there. Just thought I’d let you know I had the same issue with you with my WSM. the following is what I started doing.

-WSM running at 275* (I let it run for an hour or hour and a half until I see its running “clean” or no smoke).
-Put the ribs on.
-Throw 1 chuck of wood...mostly use cherry, sometime apple. It should run light or “thin” smoke.
-2.5 hours unwrapped.
-.75-1 hour wrapped. Sometimes just ribs, sometimes butter, honey, brown sugar, etc.
-15 to 20 minutes unwrapped to tighten up a bit. Use bamboo skewer to test tenderness.

Results have been night and day.

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

Believe it or not, none of those ribs were sauced. Just purchased rubs, all with sugar etc. like I said, I swear by this method with the WSM.
Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #36
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

^^This guy gets it. For a rib cook a single fist size chunk of wood is all you need. Or two or three smaller pieces that equal one fist size chunk. Not a foot and a half long tree branch!

And hey Clasco - what rub are you using? Those look amazing!!!

Old 10-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #37
Clasko2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
^^This guy gets it. For a rib cook a single fist size chunk of wood is all you need. Or two or three smaller pieces that equal one fist size chunk. Not a foot and a half long tree branch!

And hey Clasco - what rub are you using? Those look amazing!!!
Thanks! Appreciate the kind words.

I almost exclusively use Meat Church. Absolutely love all their rubs. These ribs had a combo of Honey Hog, and then a light dusting of Honey Hog Hot.

**I forgot to mention that in my water pan I use a foiled clay saucer. No water.
Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #38
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenbranson View Post
I'm betting that at least two of those rubs, if not all, are almost all sugar, and probably brown sugar.

Nothing wrong with that, except you're trying to figure this out. If you're afraid to ditch the rubs for a test run, you might need to just start liking ribs with the color you're getting.

I think those bones look great though! Good luck.
Came to say exactly this. Too much sugar.

I like to smoke naked and add a glaze at the end of the cook.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #39
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

It's not the sugar folks. It's too much wood. Don't confuse the message.

We use plenty of sugar on our WSM and if we add any more than 2 fist sized chunks of apple we get dark ribs. Everytime.

Clasko those ribs look great! Nice job

Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #40
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
It's not the sugar folks. It's too much wood. Don't confuse the message.

We use plenty of sugar on our WSM and if we add any more than 2 fist sized chunks of apple we get dark ribs. Everytime.

Clasko those ribs look great! Nice job
Hi All Next time I will use apple, maybe 2 small chunks, and also wait for the
blue smoke to arrive.
Thanks Dan