• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Budget Friendly Knives

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last year we bought a set of Wusthof Classic knives during a Black Friday sale. They were a revelation - so much better than the Pampered Chef knives we were using before.

In the last few weeks I've added to my collection and tossed out the last of our old knives.

As much as I like the Wusthofs, I wasn't willing to pay full price for them. So here's what I've picked up ::

Wusthof Mini-Asian 2 piece set - on sale at Williams & Sonoma, comes with a 5" Santoku and a sheep's foot paring knife. The little santoku is great for smaller veggies when you don't need a big knife. I suspect my wife will use it a lot because it is smaller and lighter and less imtimidating. I didn't even want the paring knife, and having used it a few times, I don't see myself using it often. But at $100 for the set it was cheaper than buying just the 5" santoku by itself, since the set was sale. And, as much as I like the knife, it's not what I would call a good bargain.

Victorinox 6" flexible boning knife - love the Fibrox handle - uber grippy, and fits the palm really well. I don't think I'd like it much for a chef's knife tho, as I think using the 'pincher' grip wouldn't work well for me. But for a boning knife (that I mostly use more as a fillet knife for trimming fat on butts and other larger pieces of meat) it works great.

Victorinox paring knife set - actually ran across this set at my local Publix, two 3" paring knifes for only $10. Love these knives! Super light, the blade is thin and razor sharp. Being so inexpensive, I don't hesitate to use them for non-food tasks like opening packages and whatnot. Only complaint is the bright orange handles.

Mercer Millennia slicing knife - By far (I think) the best bang for the buck, $22 for an 11" long slicing knife with a granton blade. SUPER sharp, Handle is a rubber/plastic mix, plastic along the sides, grippier rubber on the top and bottom. Used it once so far was was super pleased.

Mercer Renaissance 7" Santoku & 7" Nakiri. Mercer's Renaissance line is really similar to the Wusthof Classic - both use the same type of steel, both have forged blades, full-tange handles, and a classic western style handle. In the knife block, with the handles sticking out, the only way you can spot the difference is the little red sticker on the Wusthof knives. The one thing the Wusthof's have over the Mercers is the taper along the spine of the blade - the Wusthof's taper almost the entire length of the blade, from the handle to the tip. The spine on the Mercer maintain the same thickness most of the length of the blade and taper only as they approach the tip. Both do taper from the spine down to the cutting edge however. AND, the Mercer's are about 1/3rd (or less) than the cost of the Wusthofs. I wish they offered the nakiri w/a granton edge in their Renaissance line - they do offer one in their Genesis line, but I like the handle on the Renaissance better. So, I highly recommend them!

PICS.

Victorinox Boning Knife
kQagv0fh.jpg

Mercer Millennia slicing knife
KnizVKmh.jpg

The handle on the Mercer Millennia knives
FkNa7YTh.jpg

Mercer Renaissance Santoku (top) and Nakiri (bottom) and Wusthof Classic Chef's knife (middle)
aGNV1zAh.jpg

I have recently been down the knife rabbit hole.

I decided The Nexus line at Cutlery and more would give me the most bang for the buck.

Part of the decision was durability of the steel and edge retention. My wife is not the best at putting her knives back up. This ruled out the Carbon knives that I would have liked to purchase. These knives have great fit and finish and are a pleasure to cut with.

Those look good, and a 63 rockwell hardness is high indeed, they should hold their edge for a long while! The Wusthof's are in the mid/upper 50's I believe. Like everything else, there's compromises when it comes to hardness. Harder steel holds it's edge longer, but, it's also harder to re-sharpen once it does dull.

I love my 50+ year-old 10" Sabatier chef's knife (I generally prefer the French profile to the German one), but I've become a fan of Ontario Knives "Old Hickory" line. They're all high-quality high-carbon steel, so you do have to take proper care of the blades, but they take an edge like nobody's business, and they a Made-in-USA product of exceptional quality. A 10" butcher's knife is less than $30, and their chef's knife is about the same. Got a 6" boning knife from that line for $12 from Amazon. They are what Chicago Cutlery used to be, only less expensive. For my money, they're the best current deal in pro-quality knives. Since they're wooden handles (why it's called the "Old Hickory" line), you do have to pay a little extra attention to sanitation, but since I'm not working in a professional kitchen, it's not that big a time sink.

Addendum: For what it's worth, I have the same issue with my wife and knife care. At least we don't have a dishwasher, so she can't submit them to that particular form of torture. The other day, I caught her using one of my freshly sharpened blades to cut directly on a glass plate. But she makes up for it in other ways.

Last edited:
There's a restaurant supply store near my job, that carries the Mercer Cutlery line, and for Christmas, I think I'm gunna ask Santa for the 8" Chef's, 6" Boning and the 3" paring knives (approx. $40 +tax :grin:) Those are basically the only 3 knives I use, in addition to, my Dexter and Victorinox 10" Granton Edge.

Mercer, Dexter, ICI etc. commercial knives are generally the best bang for the buck. They are made to work, not look good or be a status symbol.

That said, it is always nice to have a few pricier pieces in the collection as well.

Mercer, Dexter, ICI etc. commercial knives are generally the best bang for the buck. They are made to work, not look good or be a status symbol.

That said, it is always nice to have a few pricier pieces in the collection as well.

Here's a pic of my pricier ones.

I have a verity of knives, Victronix, Masamoto, several Nexus and Yaxell. The Masamoto is an 180mm Gyuto and it's my knife and my wife knows not to use it. The Nexus and Yaxell are for me and her to use. My wife can destroy any knife but so far she hasn't been able to destroy these and they have been great.

Here's a pic of my pricier ones.

Are there magnets or anything holding those in place? Looks sketchy, I'd be knocking them off all the time haha. We have a tiny kitchen with hardly any counter space tho.

Huge fan of Mercer as they are stunningly well made for the price. I also really like the Dexter knives I got from Restaurant Depot.

@Sarth67, those Nexus knives look like a hell of a good deal for that quality grade of steel.

Are there magnets or anything holding those in place? Looks sketchy, I'd be knocking them off all the time haha. We have a tiny kitchen with hardly any counter space tho.

No magnets. It's Japanese Ho wood and it's at a pretty steep angle backwards.

They've never fallen off or anything.

The bigger issue is they are so beyond stupid-sharp that magnets wouldn't matter to keep them on if you hit them as you'd be missing a body part if you did. That's why I keep them in the corner of the counter out of the way of the may activity.

@Sarth67, those Nexus knives look like a hell of a good deal for that quality grade of steel.

Same steel as yaxel and 1/2 the price. Near the price of much softer steel. They are pretty good
My wife loves them.
Only problem will be when they need a full sharpening. Right now the ceramic rod and a few passes on a strop are keeping them Sharp

Back