MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #31
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I started wrapping briskets and am never going back, both on the pellet grill and offset, it's just what I like best. On my Traeger I always try to position the big cuts so they are not directly above the fire pot.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #32
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That is a really nice looking Brisket Steve Wish my wife liked it I don't cook them as I am the only one who likes it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #33
GVDub
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : George

Looks very, very tasty indeed.

Coming from a background where pork (and sometimes chicken) is the flesh of "Q," and beef is for the grill, I've never attempted a brisket. Hanging around here has made me want to remedy that, but I need a few more cooks on the PBC before I dive into that particular pool, I think.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #34
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Ninja, considering your first point, I agree there is something about the brisket. It's my favorite thing to cook even though it's one of the most labor intensive when you include burnt ends. People react differently when you say you're serving brisket. It's magic.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #35
Quint
Full Fledged Farker

Great cook thanks for sharing, looks like it came out pretty good. I'm also a wrap fan myself, wrap and rest for a couple of hours, I've never been disappointed.

WSM 22"
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Genesis E-330
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #36
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
it was mild. no major difference from the stick burner when I burn a clean fire. I dont care for a heavy smoke profile. I used lumberjack 100% hickory pellets.

I liked it. I'd do it again. pellets are not for everybody
This is what I miss from my prior stick burner and pellet smoker. The smoke was clean (not bitter) and enhanced the meat rather than being a dominant flavor profile. I couldn’t tell the difference between pellet or sticks either. I mean I like my kamado joe but it doesn’t produce the best smoke flavor. I’m getting back into pellets for good I think. Still keeping the joe because it can do so much more than just smoke and do it very well.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #37
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
This is what I miss from my prior stick burner and pellet smoker. The smoke was clean (not bitter) and enhanced the meat rather than being a dominant flavor profile. I couldn’t tell the difference between pellet or sticks either. I mean I like my kamado joe but it doesn’t produce the best smoke flavor. I’m getting back into pellets for good I think. Still keeping the joe because it can do so much more than just smoke and do it very well.
Which cooker are you buying?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #38
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post

what's weird is the consensus seems to be pellets lack smoke and sticks can be too smokey. the way I see it is they are both all wood. I run a clean fire in the stick burner with almost no exhaust. I call this bbq not smoking. smoke is a byproduct of the process and adds flavor just like seasoning. too little and its missing something, too much and it tastes like an ash tray

Old 10-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #39
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
what's weird is the consensus seems to be pellets lack smoke and sticks can be too smokey. the way I see it is they are both all wood. I run a clean fire in the stick burner with almost no exhaust. I call this bbq not smoking. smoke is a byproduct of the process and adds flavor just like seasoning. too little and its missing something, too much and it tastes like an ash tray
I think what adds to the confusion, if there is any, is that different brands of pellet smokers produce different amounts of smoke flavor. I had a GMG that produced very little smoke flavor. Now I have a MAK that produces plenty of smoke flavor. Pellet smokers are not all created equal.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #40
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Which cooker are you buying?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I’m getting the mak 1 star with full upper grate. Ordered it from bps yesterday

Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #41
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
When I first started smoking meat I over smoked everything. Nobody complained but when I started producing TBS on the offset and pellet smoker people started asking me to cook for events. My wife also stopped complaining about having smoked food all the time and began craving it. I think people are so desensitized to smoke they complain of no smoke flavor on pellet grills or even clean burning offsets. All wood and a clean and hot burning fire is the ultimate in flavor in my opinion. Pellet smokers just make it easy. Baby back maniac did a vid of his mak 2 star and actually said it had a stronger smoke flavor than his stick burner.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #42
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
This is what I keep tryin' to tell everyone!
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote