Help with eye of round please

T

tamadrummer

Hello all, I have a plan but I need some confirmation of process please.

My plan at the moment is to:

Inject:
chicken broth (I don't have beef broth)
Woosty sauce
Mixed in Santa Maria rub w/kosher salt added (Oakridge BBQ)
Olive Oil

Rub:
Olive Oil
Santa Maria (Oakridge BBQ) and rest in fridge for 3 hours and then rub more on about 60m before cooking.

Cook:
Reverse sear on Weber 18.5" OTS with Stubbs briqs and hickory chunks to 120 and then sear outside and then cooler rest for 30m

or

Fire up the COS SNP with the same stuff or maybe a bag of JD with the Oak staves for smoke. To the same temps.

Is this the right way to treat this meat or should I do something different? Which cooking method would you prefer? The smoker or the grill since you can really sear after its up to temp?

Get 2 and do one each way.

Ain't gonna happen. $$$$ I got the one I am cooking a week ago as a managers special at Sweetbay supermarket.

I think I am going to just go with the reverse sear method. I think anyway....:confused:

I do the reverse sear in a fairly hot kettle ~325. Sometimes I don't even reverse sear and pull it at 125. It'll have a great crust and the temp will climb during the rest to medium rare. I've not injected as the roast has plenty of great beefy flavor but a good EVOO, garlic, rosemary, kosher salt and pepper rub left in the fridge overnight is always a pleaser.

Thank you Guerry! I will do just like that. I have not used smoke wood in the kettle yet so this for me will be the challenge. I love the flavor of hickory but my wife is not as big on smoky food as I am. I think its possible though. I will preheat the wood and let it smoke off about 50% before I put the meat on.

Thank you Guerry! I will do just like that. I have not used smoke wood in the kettle yet so this for me will be the challenge. I love the flavor of hickory but my wife is not as big on smoky food as I am. I think its possible though. I will preheat the wood and let it smoke off about 50% before I put the meat on.

Beef LOVES oak.

The lower your cooking temperature, the more uniform the interior will be. I cook these at about 225* and pull around 120-125*, then do a sear as I like the crust on the outside. usually the inside is rare-medium-rare and very uniform pinkish red within. If you have a higher temp, you will see more of a color-temperature gradient within. It will be more done on the outside than on the inside. Like Guerry said, beef does like oak.

Well I guess oak it will be. I have 2 bags of the JD brand charcoal and 4 bags worth of the stave pieces plus the stuff that will come in the 2 bags of charcoal. I will just use the oak staves. Thanks y'all.

I will post prOnoOOnO in this thread so we can evaluate the success or failure of the eye of round.

Well I thought there would be lots of pics but the tapatalk app changed my ability to post pics or something because I tried and none would go up on the site.

As far as taste goes, the Oakridge Santa Maria rub blew my tastebuds right off my tongue. I forgot about that little spike of heat from the chile in there. Oh man, this was the best eye of round in the state of Florida by far!!! Not due to my cooking but due to the flavor profile added!

I highly recommend to all, go directly to www.oakridgebbq.com and order the 1.5lb bag of Santa Maria rub and never look back......:hail::hail::hail::bolt:

Back