MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I’ve not entered nor voted a TD in quite a while. I’ll readily confess that I’m not really up on the TD culture. I’ve always thought it would be interesting if a Brethren could win once (maybe twice) per calendar year, then those Brethren would cook against each other 12th month for Grand Smoke.

Positive: I think more Brethren would enter more often, many different Brethren winners and more Brethren voting regularly
Negative: some Brethren will not like this at all and will be pissed.

As said above, I’ve no desire to enter today nor in the future, but a bunch of different winners with a Grand Smoke finale sounds interesting. To me, anyway.
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 04-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I’ve not entered nor voted a TD in quite a while. I’ll readily confess that I’m not really up on the TD culture. I’ve always thought it would be interesting if a Brethren could win once (maybe twice) per calendar year, then those Brethren would cook against each other 12th month for Grand Smoke.

Positive: I think more Brethren would enter more often, many different Brethren winners and more Brethren voting regularly

As said above, I’ve no desire to enter today nor in the future, but a bunch of different winners with a Grand Smoke finale sounds interesting. To me, anyway.

Adams, nice to see you here, and thanks for chiming in!

As to your suggestion, we sort of had something like that several years ago, but we found that placing restrictions and narrowing it down to a single Throwdown "Master" started to take the fun out of it for a lot of people. Throwdown participation also dropped considerably as well. While we thought it a good idea, in reality, it didn’t turn out as we had hoped. My experience here after doing this for almost 10 years is that the less restrictions we place on who can enter Throwdowns, the more participation we seem to get.

When I first started participating in the Throwdowns, there was certainly a group of established regulars, just like there are today, as with any subforum here. I felt a little out of place at first, but the great thing is that I felt welcome immediately and began to enjoy the camaraderie that Brethren offer so generously. One of the great things about this forum is that members here are among the most helpful and friendly I’ve found. The Throwdowns are no different, and all are welcome.

I'm not sure why you no longer vote or enter Throwdowns, but I do hope you'll stick around a while…
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #18
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

1. Cheeks/Tongues/Tail-Show us how you prepare unusual cuts
2. Shellfish
3. Use your favorite gadget / accessory (most of us have add ons, rotisserie,griddle plate etc)
4. 5 ingredient or less (including seasonings) or Keep it simple stupid
5. Mediterranean

Last edited by PnkPanther; 04-06-2021 at 02:10 PM..
PnkPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #19
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I’ve never entered a TD before and I haven’t been around long to know if it’s been done before, but my idea was for an MSU TD also. But my idea is that you would have to make up an entirely new dish that you’ve never seen before. You could take an existing dish and change the ingredients, or combine different dishes into one, but the end result would have to be completely original.

If we do it for May we could call it the May-ke Stuff Up challenge.
CivilTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #20
LYU370

Wasn't there a frugal challenge, on the cheap, something like that. Cook a meal for under $X.XX.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #21
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
Can I kick it off? Do I need any special camera equipment to take outstanding photos like most of you guys do or are there any tricks you'd care to share?
Hey Ron,

All I've been using are my cell phone cameras. I just snap as I go. It's like a reflex now.

In the last few years I had the Nexus 6p which took amazing pics for a cell phone. Then I picked up the pixel 3xl which again took awesome pics. My latest phone is the Samsung z fold 2 and it does just about the same as my last phone. I know at least a couple brethren that take photos with nice cameras/Dslrs and it shows. I just don't have the time for it so a cell phone works great. Key thing is to have fun with it.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #22
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

That’s an interesting idea. Or something like the “monthly special” qualifies you for the end of year superthrowdown whereas the “biweekly” TDs are more of an “open” challenge.

For me, there are periods of time where I can’t/don’t devote the energy to TDs for whatever reason and I go on a bit of a hiatus, then I’ll pick back up and go several months regularly participating. Something that throttled my participation like a “one or two win and done” type thing would probably complicate matters for me and potentially further limit my participation.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
LYU370

Maybe another Noobie TD? Had to have entered less than some number of throwdowns to be eligible to enter. Possibly get some new people to enter that may be intimidated by us goofballs, sorry, I meant by us MASTERS. I know back when I first found the TD's I was a little intimidated, will my entry be good enough? Will no one vote for me but instead vote for someone that always enters?

Once I got over my fear, I've been in ever since. Don't care if I get a ZERO, Don't care if I get a Dilly Bar. It's just fun trying to come up with somethng new.

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
Old 04-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #24
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
That’s an interesting idea. Or something like the “monthly special” qualifies you for the end of year superthrowdown whereas the “biweekly” TDs are more of an “open” challenge.
That sounds like a good idea too. You're not limiting who enters during the year, but a final TD among all the previous monthly TD winners. Possibly with a SPECIAL congratulatory post for the winner from the Grand Poobah himself.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #25
Moose

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post

For me, there are periods of time where I can’t/don’t devote the energy to TDs for whatever reason and I go on a bit of a hiatus, then I’ll pick back up and go several months regularly participating. Something that throttled my participation like a “one or two win and done” type thing would probably complicate matters for me and potentially further limit my participation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
That sounds like a good idea too. You're not limiting who enters during the year, but a final TD among all the previous monthly TD winners. Possibly with a SPECIAL congratulatory post for the winner from the Grand Poobah himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Adams, nice to see you here, and thanks for chiming in!

As to your suggestion, we sort of had something like that several years ago, but we found that placing restrictions and narrowing it down to a single Throwdown "Master" started to take the fun out of it for a lot of people. Throwdown participation also dropped considerably as well. While we thought it a good idea, in reality, it didn’t turn out as we had hoped. My experience here after doing this for almost 10 years is that the less restrictions we place on who can enter Throwdowns, the more participation we seem to get.
I've included my earlier reply to Adams as it relates to "narrowing" winners down in separate Throwdowns that come with some sort of formal titles. Like I stated earlier to Adams, we ran into problems doing this, and at the end of the day, it drove people away as some felt we were becoming "commercialized" and wasn't fun anymore.

When the competition becomes more important than the food we're cooking and how we're cooking it, we've lost sight of what the Throwdowns are for:

Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Hope this sheds some light on where we stand on the matter.

I'm glad some of you have brought this up, as that's what this thread is for!

What shall we talk about next?

Last edited by Moose; 04-13-2021 at 08:41 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #26
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just to add to what moose said, we tried the masters thing, but it really did not end well. We prefer to keep the throw downs light and fun. Things like the zero thread help serve the purpose of celebrating all the dishes, not just the winners. It’s why the prizes stay small, and why for the most part don’t vote for themselves. Once the prizes get big and people start getting competitive, things go south in a hurry.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by Shagdog; 04-09-2021 at 03:04 PM..
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #27
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

What the heck is a Throwdown?

Can I use my microwave if I'm out of propane?
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #28
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

For me it's not that serious. I'm in it for the fun factor and enjoy peoples creativity. Don't care if I win or lose. I've noticed some people get discouraged when certain brethren enter a td and for that reason I personally scaled backed a lot. Scaled back as in not entering in as many throwdown as previously. Basically like affirmative action. You just have to jump in, take the good with the bad and learn from it ultimately getting better. That's been my motto in life and not just here. Ok I'm done with kicking knowledge.

I ain't quitting the brethren though. Some of the best people I've met and befriended are from here.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 04-09-2021 at 06:32 PM..
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #29
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
What the heck is a Throwdown?

Can I use my microwave if I'm out of propane?

Yes to both questions, though results may vary.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #30
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I've noticed some people get discouraged when certain brethren enter a td and for that reason I personally scaled backed a lot.
Not me, I always look forward to trying to kick your butt!