MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed
Default Need Oakland (Colesium)/ San Fran help

Heading to Oakland this Fall to take in a Raiders home game before they move to Hell, Nevada.

Having never been in the area, does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay, transport to coliseum, etc?

The flight has us getting in Sunday morning into OAK, will hit the game in the afternoon, then spend Monday in SF/Oakland Area, Tuesday/Wednesday in Sonoma checking out wineries, then OAK for a flight back Thursday.

Not sure if we want to stay in the Berkley area Sunday, in San Fran and take the BART to the game? Will have a rental, is parking at the coliseum easy? What's the neighborhood like?

Just not sure what is best.

Any recommendations appreciated.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Chicago View Post
Heading to Oakland this Fall to take in a Raiders home game before they move to Hell, Nevada.

Having never been in the area, does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay, transport to coliseum, etc?

The flight has us getting in Sunday morning into OAK, will hit the game in the afternoon, then spend Monday in SF/Oakland Area, Tuesday/Wednesday in Sonoma checking out wineries, then OAK for a flight back Thursday.

Not sure if we want to stay in the Berkley area Sunday, in San Fran and take the BART to the game? Will have a rental, is parking at the coliseum easy? What's the neighborhood like?

Just not sure what is best.

Any recommendations appreciated.

I’d probably park at the Coliseum. BART access to coliseum is not great.
Berkeley is not a bad choice of a place to stay, as it’s fairly close to Oakland.
There is some fun/neat places to hang out along Telegraph rd between Berkeley and Oakland..including Phat Matt’s BBQ (Matt and Charlotte are both brethren members)

Neighborhoods are kinda funny out here.
More like micro-neighborhoods.
You can be fine in one spot and 3 blocks in some random direction and you are feeling for your piece
Berkeley is safer than Oakland, but only by a little.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot

And then there’s this

https://www.kcra.com/article/oakland...rooms/27731116
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
If only I knew....
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Battleborn
On the road to being a farker

Their stadium is easy to drive to and park. I really like to have seafood when visiting close to the ocean, Spengers in Berkley is great. Get off I80 at University Ave and you're there.
Battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

It's been a couple years but I've always enjoyed Mission Chinese when I've gone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're driving. parking close in isn't bad, but overflow lots are a hike over the freeway. Attendance has been off the last few years, but all bets are off for the last home game ever.

BART is direct/easy from Berkeley or SF, SF is a little further. Same BART station serves the coliseum and the airport in case that helps.

Lake Merritt area in Oak is nice, but I wouldn't stay near the O.Co Alameda might be a good option, but you have to drive on/off the island

Fenton's Creamery is awesome, Bette's Oceanview Diner in Berkeley is great.
I like Everett and Jones BBQ in Emeryville(also other locations).
Tons of food options in SF, but I wouldn't look for bbq there.
Spenger's is gone, sadly

Last edited by guero_gordo; 06-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: dumb
guero_gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Is it you and a spouse? Kids coming too? What kind of stuff do you like to do?

I'd say plan one main activity per day (and once you have that figured out...you can do some other stuff close by), because while BART is fine on the weekends, you'll be fighting commuters for most of the morning and afternoon/evening (5-9am, 3-7pm). Up to you what you want to do on that Monday.

If it weren't for the wineries, I'd almost say ditch the car and take BART everywhere. For the most part, hotels will be more expensive in the city than in the East Bay. I used to live in Walnut Creek and BART will be the best way to get to the Colesium on game days (but it's right off the freeway and easy to do by car as well). I'd stay in the East Bay and just take Bart on your day trips. Honestly...Uber/Lyft has made it so much easier than transit maps 10-20 years ago.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

bonus points for taking a selfie from the black hole wearing a KC jersey
Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Is Phat Matt’s BBQ still open?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Is Phat Matt’s BBQ still open?

Yup!
Still turning out awesome BBQ
Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by guero_gordo View Post

I don't know about these days...but 10-15 years ago they'd rip an opposing teams jersey off of a person in The Black Hole and not think twice about it. Some of those guys are just looking to pick a fight and are happy to get tossed out and go back to drinking in the parking lot. It's not much better up in the "nose bleeds" either. Bad mouthing and dumping drinks. When the Raiders move to LV the atmosphere will be much different. The road team will have a better presence.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
Is it you and a spouse? Kids coming too? What kind of stuff do you like to do?

I'd say plan one main activity per day (and once you have that figured out...you can do some other stuff close by), because while BART is fine on the weekends, you'll be fighting commuters for most of the morning and afternoon/evening (5-9am, 3-7pm). Up to you what you want to do on that Monday.

If it weren't for the wineries, I'd almost say ditch the car and take BART everywhere. For the most part, hotels will be more expensive in the city than in the East Bay. I used to live in Walnut Creek and BART will be the best way to get to the Colesium on game days (but it's right off the freeway and easy to do by car as well). I'd stay in the East Bay and just take Bart on your day trips. Honestly...Uber/Lyft has made it so much easier than transit maps 10-20 years ago.
Thanks, all great info everyone!

To the above, yes just wife and I. Good info on transport, very much appreciated. If it wasn't for the wineries you are correct, no car needed. We're actually switching to Napa from Sonoma, but that fluctuates.

Will check out East Bay hotels, that sounds right up our alley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guero_gordo View Post
Not a chance.

Back in 95 my then GF and I went to KC to watch KC/OAK game in the airport bar Christmas Eve as it was blacked out in Chicago. She was in full Chief regalia (Montana fan) and me in the Silver and Black.

No luggage, no coats, just a same day round trip on Southwest.

I caught chit from everyone in that airport that day, and the GF was encouraging them not to stop.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote