Temp Question for Chuckies to make pulled beef??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have 4 chuckies on the the UDS right now. They are about 3lbs each. What temp should I cook them to before I wrap them in foil? I'm going to be reheating these on Saturday so I want to cook them today, foil and let cool some before I pull them, and then reheat on Saturday.

Temps of the UDS are right around 250* right now and they have been on for about 1 hr. Meat temp is around 77*. What temp should I wrap them and what temp should I take them off the smoker?

Thanks,
Patrick

If you foil them I wouldn't rely on temp to determine when they're ready to pull. When they're "fall apart" tender is when you should take them off, the same as a pork butt.

How are y'all prepping your chuckies? Rub, Brine???

Would like to do my first this weekend. First tri tip last weekend.

jetfxr27 - I prepped mine last night but injecting with a beef broth/rub mixture and then rubbed with a dry rub of paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I wrapped and let sit over night, added a litte more rub this morning before going on the smoker.

They have been on a little over 1.5 hrs and are around 117* internal meat temps. Drum is holding steady at 240* right now. I plan on taking them up to around 170-175* internal temp and then foiling. Once they reach around 190* I was start testing tenderness using an ice pick. I'll pull off when they feel like butter.

Patrick

Okay so I'm about 2.5 hrs in and drum is still holding steady at 240*. The chuckies look to have stalled at an internal temp of 145*. Is this normal? Wondering how long they'll be sitting at this temp. I'm dying to take a peak but I'm trying not to open the lid until I'm ready to wrap.

Okay so they have been on for 5 hours and are sitting around 160* now. Should I foil soon or leave them as-is for a while?

Depends?
Do you like the color of the bark?
Foil stops the barking process.

The internal temps are around 163* and climbing slowly. Drum is at about 220* and I'll probably need to add some more coals soon to keep it going. I'm going to let the chuckies go for a little while longer before foiling. Problem is I have a dr. appointment at 5:30pm and will have to leave for an hour or so. Not sure if I can leave them on the drum or not. I'll have to make sure the temps of the drum are stable before leaving.

The internal temps are around 163* and climbing slowly. Drum is at about 220* and I'll probably need to add some more coals soon to keep it going. I'm going to let the chuckies go for a little while longer before foiling. Problem is I have a dr. appointment at 5:30pm and will have to leave for an hour or so. Not sure if I can leave them on the drum or not. I'll have to make sure the temps of the drum are stable before leaving.

If your happy with the bark, remove and throw them in the oven. :redface:
I wont tell anyone. After foil its just heat.

Or ramp the drum down to 170 or so, that should net you some more time.

Does this sound normal that these are taking so long? Its been 6 hours and they are only about 3lbs each. Is it because of all the fat in the chucks that it takes so long?

No, it doesn't seem too long. Don't worry about the time. Last time I did a chuck it was about three lbs too and took 4 to 5 hours to get to 165, cooking at a range of 225 to 250. There was a thread about an 8 lb butt that took over 20 hours a few weeks ago so...:-D

I cooked 2 4 1/2 lbs chucks 2 weeks ago. Cooked at 225. They took 10 1/2 hours to get to 190.

17 hour 8 pound butt last easter.
I did use the ramp down to 170* trick for the 2 hours at church though.

the beef absorbs alot of smoke.... Small three pounders have alot of surface area absorbing more smoke. Kind of like brisket. If you got the bark you want, wrap them up. I wouldnt rush it.. If you have to leave and your worried about the pit, do what they said and throw it in the oven. Its perfectly stable and your not getting no more smoke once your wrapped.

Back