Smoked my first brisket... sort of....

TonyBen

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a half a brisket from the butcher. 6.5 pounds. There's just three of us, so an 18 pound brisket would have been too much.

12 hours at 225˚ and I pulled it at an internal temp of 203. Was done way slower than I anticipated and we ate dinner without the brisket 2 hours before it was done.

The meat tasted great but it seems like it was overly greasy. Maybe I should have left it in longer. After I ate, I returned to my cutting board and knife, I saw they had a layer of grease that seemed a little excessive. Is this normal?

Again, the meat came out great and the inner layer of meat where the center layer of fat was, was like butter.

I did not give it any time to rest. I pulled it and it went straight to the cutting board.

JZyGj0Jh.jpg

VFZat1Uh.jpg

7suKsLFh.jpg

Tony.

Looks like you got a sold a point end of a Brisket with a tad of flat. This thread has been here and really helped me starting out. The pics may not be clear but they are still there. Good Luck with your next try.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Yours looks Great for what you had!

Last edited:
I would say you could have trimmed it just a little more, but it does look mighty fine!! We are always learning, and each piece is different from the last. Just get another and try again, but if you have any questions, the Brethren will always be willing to offer some good and sage advice. Look forward to your future cooks / pics!

Looks like you nailed it! Great Job.

I agree that you could have trimmed and rested it a little more, but Brisket is always a little fatty. Especially the point.

Looks good Brisket is fatty Cooking it longer would have dried it out A longer rest would have been good and strain the grease out of the leftover liquid so you can use it later

Okay, thanks! All I did was cover it in Montreal steak seasoning the day before and throw it on the grill as-is. I guess I'll trim some of the outer fat next time. It helps to know that it is supposed to be a somewhat fatty cut. The burnt ends were attacked right away and eaten before I took any pictures.

I really liked the RecTeq app and I was able to track the temps at the thick and thin part of the brisket since the RT-700 has two temp probes. I was able to monitor the stall duration nicely.

I did not open the grill until I was in the 190 degree range. I didn't wrap it either. I just let it run.

I did reference the old tutorial thread and it was very helpful.

Thanks again!

Tony.

The burnt ends were attacked right away and eaten before I took any pictures.

Sooooo we aren’t the only ones that thought you nailed it!

If I could buy points only just like that I’d be on them like stink on a monkey!

Looks great! If it rested it may have soaked some of those juices back up inside of the brisket. I would take it right now!

An extended rest period will help all those juices (or what you call grease) to remain inside the meat. Carving up a brisket with no rest is not a good idea. EVER! This goes for any piece of meat.

For the future . . . Brisket will hold a LONG time wrapped in a towel in a cooler. So no need to try and time it right before dinner. Give yourself several hours padding and that way there is no need to rush it if it is going slow and no risk of needing to skip the rest.

For the future . . . Brisket will hold a LONG time wrapped in a towel in a cooler. So no need to try and time it right before dinner. Give yourself several hours padding and that way there is no need to rush it if it is going slow and no risk of needing to skip the rest.

Yes, it is such a massive hunk of meat, I prefer to rest a minimum of 2 hours, preferably 4 hours+. A lot of the popular BBQ places have warming boxes that will keep briskets at 150F for a very long time. That is an expensive purchase option for home use though. An ice chest and some old towels work great. I've even packed newspaper on top of the towels to take up extra space in the cooler. If you have an oven that will hold temp around 150F, that would be a nice place to rest a brisket too.

Your finished pics look really good. You just needed more rest.

Briskets are the ultimate exercise in timing, planning, and patience.

I plan on a 4 to 6 hour hold in foil, towel, and Cambro after I pull before I slice. I start cooking the night before the dinner.

Briskets are a 2 day affair for me.

Last edited:
Back