On-Going - Corned/Pastrami'd Shenanigans in the 505

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Saturday, Pharkers!

It's been a LONG time since I used "pastrami" as a verb, so I decided it's time to fix that. Jason TQ continues to be a "bad influence" on the subject, but I sure appreciate it.

I had a good time looking back almost a year ago when I first started to "pastrami" (as a verb) things. - You'll note that I had about NO prep time, and only gave the ribs an overnight in the brine, but had good results.

"Pastramied Ribs
- Brine effect is light, but provided a good savoury and garlicy undertone.
- Dry rub ties it all together. Coriander and black pepper hits with interesting Pastrami flavors (never had 'em on ribs before)! Not spicy enough to keep the munchkin from devouring her own rib."

Now, I've gone and bought myself a good quality brining bucket (don't ask what happened to the last one... :roll:) that fits in the fridge and holds a ton!

Broke out some spices, bloomed them in the pan to start building the brine.

oASZPsBl.jpg

Crunch & munch in the mortar and pestle... added a few bits and bobs...

W3sQ1irl.jpg

Brought her up to a boil, then took her outside on the patio to cool in the fall air.

Xc8PxLul.jpg

7SVTRJMl.jpg

As you may have seen in a related post on Phubar's weekly "What's Smokin'" thread, I mentioned that I've got a whole picnic, a rack of St Louis Spares, and about 1/2 of a pork belly destined to join this experiment.

Here they go into that brand new brining bucket.

w1wZzJWl.jpg

FIpGZmWl.jpg

A few of Grandmother's glass party plates help me weigh down the meat to always be covered by the brine.

0U6IHRhl.jpg

Into the fridge she goes for..... Oh, 4-5-7-ish days.

This version is without Prague Powder/Cure#1/Pink Curing Salt to see if that'll help keep CINCHOUSE's migraines at bay, but to still give her homemade pastrami.

The smell of the spices was intoxicating as I bloomed them in the pan and crushed them. The brine was really nice, to be honest. Much less "harsh" than the pre-corned brisket bits I've bought before.

Thoughts / ideas / suggestions for timing on each of the 3 cuts of pork in the brine are absolutely welcomed and encouraged.

I'll probably end up vac-sealing some and cooking over the Holidays.

More to follow. Thanks for stopping by.

Can't wait to see the end results.

I use 'pastrami' as a verb to. As in "I pastramied a turkey breast". And by the way, if you ever use Cure#1 again in your corning/curing.... add it after the simmering and chilling down. Nitrites don't like heat and sort of wear out.

...if you ever use Cure#1 again in your corning/curing.... add it after the simmering and chilling down. Nitrites don't like heat and sort of wear out.

Thanks very kindly. I had no idea and would've totally dropped the ball on this step.

I've got a batch of cure #1 headed this way... sometime in early December... or so Amazon says. :roll:

Dammit i gotta get on my fresh ground spices game!

The smell from the spices when I fired up the stove.... oh, Lawd, yes! Brought both CINCHOUSE and the munchkin in from other parts of the house...

Time problem still ticking in my nugget. If you and other experienced folk have thoughts/ideas, they're most welcome and appreciated.

I envisioned two "scientists" working on simultaneous projects:
Marc measuring ingredients and looking scientific, ala The Professor from Gilligan's Island,
And JasonTQ doing his pastrami project reminiscent of Jerry Lewis in The Nutty Professor.
(I need to turn off the TV every once in a while).
Anxious to see the results, Marc.

I envisioned two "scientists" working on simultaneous projects:
Marc measuring ingredients and looking scientific, ala The Professor from Gilligan's Island,
And JasonTQ doing his pastrami project reminiscent of Jerry Lewis in The Nutty Professor.

That's how you know Jason's the true artist.

I start off like the professor above, but I like to dabble around the edges. :wink:

I've done well today... haven't gone out to the garage fridge to "visit" the experiment.

Back