Coming Soon...Big Green Drum II

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here is a sketch of my latest brainstorm...

BGDII0001.jpg

I've got everything I need except for the charcoal ring...I ordered one from a local sheet metal shop made out of 1/8" steel perforated sheet and a Weber kettle lid (searching Craig's List daily). I'm still deciding on thermometer placement...thoughts?

ECB on roids.....:shock:
Thermos at grate levels.
Using a sand pan?

ECB on roids.....:shock:
Thermos at grate levels.
Using a sand pan?

Nope...Clay flower pot base from Home Depot. 18 inch diameter x 2 inch deep. I'll cover it with tin foil to cath the drippings.

just curious why you want to catch the drippings and have to deal with them later instead of letting them just fall into the fire or ashes which you have to clean up anyway?

Also why not just make a lid instead of hunting for one that may or may not fit good. I have not found a webber lid to fit the drums I have bought.

Good luck though.

I think I found the right combo when I built mine. It helps to make the UDS using a banded drum, and keeping the lip from the drum lid. You will also need the flange from an old kettle.

By putting the lid lip back on and then the band you create the outside seal for lid and the band keeps the lid in place. The kettle flange helps push the lid outward and create the seal from within. The band is maybe 1/8 ths thick and that is what will keep the lid from sliding off sideways. I won't know how tight the seal is until I fire it up, but the lid stays locked in place because of the band. The hard part is finding banded drums.

I basically borrowed several different drums ideas and tried to combine them together. Seems like it worked but I'll know for sure when it faces live fire.

More like a WSM on 'roids.
Second the thermo's at grate level.
Nice design JD.

Exactly...:biggrin: Grate level thermo is my first choice as well...:p

just curious why you want to catch the drippings and have to deal with them later instead of letting them just fall into the fire or ashes which you have to clean up anyway?

Also why not just make a lid instead of hunting for one that may or may not fit good. I have not found a webber lid to fit the drums I have bought.

Good luck though.

22 1/2 Weber Kettle lids work great for these drums...(Swamprb has 3 and I have already done one) plus they're free or real cheap on CL. As far as the drippings are concerned...I just throw the foil away that's on my heatsink / drip pan...easy peasy! :p

Looks real good I can't wait to see the final result.

Last edited:
Slight change in plans...

I've decided to do away with the bottom grate and add 3 inch standoffs to the bottom of the charcoal basket. It'll just sit on the bottom of the drum instead of on a grate.

BGDII-10001.jpg

Looks good... Just take the original BGD and stick some stamps on it and mail it to me! :-D

Looks good... Just take the original BGD and stick some stamps on it and mail it to me! :-D

You got it bro...it just so happens that I have one of those forever stamps left...think it will cover it? :twisted:

Here is a sketch of my latest brainstorm...

BGDII0001.jpg

I've got everything I need except for the charcoal ring...I ordered one from a local sheet metal shop made out of 1/8" steel perforated sheet and a Weber kettle lid (searching Craig's List daily). I'm still deciding on thermometer placement...thoughts?

If we had not removed the clay pot base and walked away at 11:30AM with all the chicken grease and the lid off, That drum would probably be a whole lot fuglier!

If we had not removed the clay pot base and walked away at 11:30AM with all the chicken grease and the lid off, That drum would probably be a whole lot fuglier!

Hey man...I think you put this in the wrong spot...:lol::lol::lol:

Back