My wife wants me to throw out my UDS...

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So we recently moved back to New Mexico and just closed on a new (old) house. With her mind on remodeling, she said, "Can't you buy a new smoker and get rid of that?" Seems she is concerned about how it looks. My offer to give it a custom University of Arizona or Denver Broncos paint job didn't change her mind.

I threw out my old gasser when we moved, so I am considering a pellet grill. I like to Sous Vide steaks, so I am interested in a unit that will smoke, grill, and provide a high temp sear.

I had a friend with a Camp Chef with a sear box and he really liked it, but the price is a bit more than my budget.

I'd like to stay around $450 or under?

Any recommendations? Is there anything good that meets my criteria?

What kind of price range you got? I would get rid of a UDS in a heartbeat if the replacement allowance was enough.

What kind of price range you got? I would get rid of a UDS in a heartbeat if the replacement allowance was enough.

$450 or under is preferred. Could squeeze a little more out, but doing a major house remodel right now, so I have to try and stay lean....

Should have got a new wife instead of house. Glad my wife doesn’t care at all about how many cookers I have. But in all seriousness just get a cover and tell her to deal with it.

Your UDS can’t be that ugly! Do you have a photo?

I went the cheap $450 pellet smoker route last year and now wish I spent 3 times that amount to get a RecTec. The flavor profile in a $450 pellet cooker is going to be anyway near your UDS and the temps were not steady like a more expensive model with a pid controller would be.

If you want to get a good looking smoker that will perform like your UDS just get a WSM 22. It’s $439 delivered from amazon Prime.

First thing I would do is ask the wife what she is getting rid of that she really likes!!!!! Another thing, does she like to eat the food that you cook on it? If so than what is her real issue. I guess I am lucky that my wife supports my many hobbies. But then again I support hers so it is a give and take. Maybe time to have a discussion with her on how you feel about getting rid of the UDS. Good luck.

Ask her to get rid of a pair of shoes!! It works for me when she asks me to thin the herd.

If you are looking for something that will smoke, grill, and provide a high temp sear, check out a kamado style cooker. I personally have a BGE but I really like Kamado Joe as well. $450 might not get you all of the way there, but you can always check out craigslist and Facebook.

Keep the UDS, and make it look prettier!

If you get rid of the UDS, a Pitboss will be a good option. I have two, an 820 model (5 years old) and a copperhead. If you weren't concerned about searing food, the copperhead is a "pretty" replacment for the UDS. But the barrel types would be better for everything including a sear. They should both be in your price range.

If you wanted to ditch the UDS and stick with charcoal, an acorn or another type of metal kamado should be in your price, and will do everything you want.

Buy a dolly/hand truck and tuck the cooker away when you're not using it.

Back