MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Butchering a pig

I have always purchased my meat from a butcher, but have the opportunity to have a hog slaughtered. Arnold is 235 lbs now and they still have to fatten him a little more. It was raised by a local 4H kid and i can get it butchered however i like. Is there anything i should ask for, or just have them do it "normally". Only thing i could think of was that i have never done a whole shoulder, only done butts. Would it be worth it to get the two shoulders whole? Is there really an advantage to doing them whole? Anything else i should ask for? Thanks

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
anygrill
On the road to being a farker

Decide if you want pork loin or pork chop.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I will get the loins whole. I always get whole loins when they are on sale for under 2 bucks a pound and cut my own just before i cook them. Seem to taste much better that way.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver

Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I got to thinking ( sometimes dangerous) I never cook bone in porkchops and was wondering what the advantage is. And,if i had them cut as chops, bone in, how would that effect the ribs?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

have them give you the bellies whole so you can make your own bacon

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If using for a KCBS comp, just the butts not a whole shoulder. If MIM then the entire shoulder. They should be able to do you a good job on the money muscle. They should also be able to trim the ribs so you don't get shiners. Fresh sausage is the best and don't forget the jowl.

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
cvan
On the road to being a farker

if you have the bone in pork chop you don't get baby back ribs just spare ribs.
I have hogs killed I don't like getting anything cured around where I live it always seems to have an old taste to it.
I like fresh side bacon sliced very thick you can put some flour on it and fry it for breakfast its like eating pork chops.
I do like the jowls to be cured and smoked. exception to above rule.
the liver is real good from pigs.
the tounge is good.
you can get better hams from a store I would have sausage made from them for FATTYS
If you are adventuresome keep some intestinse to grill up clean them GOOD and they'll taste good.
Hope I helped
cvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

was thinking of cooking the whole thing at home, just to be different. Is their an advantage to cooking them whole? Was planning on trying to make bacon, and hadn;t thought about getting the ribs cut thicker.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think that pork chops have more flavor and juice than boneless loin. I'm not too crazy about babybacks anyway. Grind the hams unless you can sugar cure them. Leave the shoulders whole for smoking. Leave the belly whole for bacon. Lots of good recipes available but I like the Morton sugar cure for bacon. You can do it easily in the fridge. JMHO
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
I got to thinking ( sometimes dangerous) I never cook bone in porkchops and was wondering what the advantage is. And,if i had them cut as chops, bone in, how would that effect the ribs?
Bone-in chops simply have much more flavor IMO.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Whole shoulder does really well I would use tender ouick on the bacon then smoke it bring temp. up to around 140 then slice and freez. Those fresh ham make some really good Q or you could tender quick them and smoke like the bacon. Then you have the jowel feet and head. Actually I have ate the ears and heart
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

You’re going to eat Arnold??
Reminds me of a funny story – My brother and I were seeking sanctuary at some friends house in rural Lake City, Fl after our old VW van threw a rod on a return trip to Georgia Tech from Merritt Island.
We were at dinner after the long day enjoying one of the best rib eyes I had ever eaten, and the our friend asked “How do you like Blackie??”… <Looking down at both their dogs looking at me eating the steak, and neither one were named Blackie…>
I asked back…. “Who's Blackie?”
She said….”you’re eating her, she was slaughtered last fall!”
I kinda lost my appetite. …. Just something about eating a named pet….
OK, so to answer the question and just an opinion…. Bone in anything is better…..
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Too funny! Arnold has hip problems so wouldn't really do to well as a pet or at a farm as he can hardly walk. I guess i will try and get bone in chops, and have the hams ground into sausage. If i tell the butcher to cut boston buts, how do i get him to try and cut a generous "money muscle"? WOuld he know what i meant?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
RW Willy
Knows what a fatty is.

Will he make Scrapple?
Its good as long as there is not to much hair init.
Enjoy the pig. It will all be good.
GOSM Wally World
Turkey Fryer
Dutch Ovens, Pie Irons
Completed UDS (not painted yet, but cooking on it)
24" Discada w/22" lid
RW Willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
Too funny! Arnold has hip problems so wouldn't really do to well as a pet or at a farm as he can hardly walk. I guess i will try and get bone in chops, and have the hams ground into sausage. If i tell the butcher to cut boston buts, how do i get him to try and cut a generous "money muscle"? WOuld he know what i meant?

I don't know about the money muscle, but it sure seems like a waste to grind those hams into sausage. I would at least keep one whole to play around with

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote