The BIG BUTT experiment test: *** 5 Hours and complete.....SUCCESS!***

I only pulled a little for now...Hot HOT HOT!

This is all pre finishing sauce.

The moral of this story is hanging start to finish at extremely high temps works freaking AWESOME!

Thanks for looking!

I did a 400-425 range cook once for fun and the butt took about 4hrs and turned out great. I did foil it so will be interesting to see how it goes without if you don't. Lots of bark I'd guess :p. Hopefully not burn
I would guess i averaged 425* and it went 5 hours but foil definitely speeds things up. I did crank it up to about 550* the last half hour to finish things off.

I like the sneaky peek...
LOL, it wasn't easy getting that one, I had to shine a light in and then snap the pic.

That looks good!

You're lucky that the cook didn't go over 6 hours. You wouldn't be able to edit the thread title any more :becky:

Holy chit!!! It looks like a nice smoke ring too!
Yea just because it was a H&F cook didn't have an effect on the smoke ring.... plenty of wood and it was a pretty clean burn. That side to side burn method works awesome.

That looks good!

You're lucky that the cook didn't go over 6 hours. You wouldn't be able to edit the thread title any more :becky:
LOL, I figured it was coming up to the point of blocking that out!
Congrats on a great cook.

Thanks, still not 100% positive I'd try it without a safety net though...maybe after the 4 butts in a few weeks.

Hot and fast butt success.....now that meat looks good. Down in Lockhart Texas at Kreuz market they say they cook a 15 butt in 4.5 hours. I can testify that is good.

Very nicely done! I fired up my jimmy today for chicken and CSRs. Quick little cook at 375-400. It's a great cooker. Can't wait to see 4 butts hanging.

Hot and fast butt success.....now that meat looks good. Down in Lockhart Texas at Kreuz market they say they cook a 15 butt in 4.5 hours. I can testify that is good.
Wow that's sure fast. I imagine they wrap

Very nicely done! I fired up my jimmy today for chicken and CSRs. Quick little cook at 375-400. It's a great cooker. Can't wait to see 4 butts hanging.
Thanks Pj! It's such a good cooker, it's just now i'm trying to really expand it's capabilities.

It's amazing how you can change temp almost on a dime. At 4 1/2 hours i wanted to crank it up from 400* and just fully opened the bottom sear vent handle i put on and it was at 550* in minutes.

I'll definitely take pics of the big cook...probably post the next day because it's gonna be super hectic. I'm going from cooking the butts to reloading the fuel and doing 5 chickens. Then i'm cooking 25 ears of corn and hotdogs on another cooker. lol

Well done my friend. Now get that thing into the "pulled" TD before tomorrows submission deadline :thumb:

Very nice Keith!
Will your diffuser be able to handle all that grease without a fire happening? 4 butts then birds

Back