Match Light Experiment.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Disclaimer - I've never used Match Light in my life.

A coupe days ago my dad's friend brought me a small tri tip to smoke for him. He included an 11.6lb bag of ML.

I took it and never said anything but I had no intention of cooking the tri tip with that charcoal.

Anyhow, out of curiosity I filled a Weber basket an lit it and went in the house. 20mins later I came out and my first impression was the neighbor was using kerosene to burn brush. That stuff puts off serious fumes.

When the coals ashed over I put the lid on and waited another 20mins or so. Came back out and took the lid off and the fumes burned my eyes. I dont know how anyone can us that stuff.

I have a big brush pile in my yard that I will burn this fall. It's going to get lit with a bag of Match Light.

Yes that stuff is rough. My wife was a fan of it until I showed her the wonderful flavors of food NOT cooked on that stuff. I started using my kettle with lump and I even grill on my BPS as well with lump coal and she refuses to buy ML ever again.

The ol' chimney and starter cubes work wonders.... When I could get out and do it still.

Last edited:
I've tried it before and had the same experience. I gave about 3/4 of the bag away. Lump is the only way to go. I use Cowboy Lump because of availability, burns hot when you need it to, but it's controllable for low heat smokes as well. It seems to last much longer too.

I've tried it before and had the same experience. I gave about 3/4 of the bag away. Lump is the only way to go. I use Cowboy Lump because of availability, burns hot when you need it to, but it's controllable for low heat smokes as well. It seems to last much longer too.
A long time KBB user I bought some of those Royal Oak briquettes back in the spring when they were on sale. I still have 6 unopened bags. I'm very pleased with lump, especially Royal Oak. I'm currently using the Western lump. It has some small pieces but it's been working great and $9.97 for 30lbs is a deal. I'm not sure when I will open another bag of briquettes. Lump has won me over. I think maybe Match Light was designed for college kids who dont care or folks who just dont know any better. The label screams "Easy".

I once ran out of charcoal during a cook on my WSM, when I was first learning it. There was a small bag of ML that someone left behind in my garage. I had already wrapped the meats in foil, and I STILL had to toss everything after tasting it. I shudder every time I think of that day.

The label screams "Easy".

Yeah, my wife and daughter seem to gravitate toward ML because of its ease of lighting. But, I just showed my daughter how to use a chimney for her Jumbo Joe, and I think she now appreciates the effect of ML on her food. One down, one to go.

Crap like that is why I avoided charcoal for so long. Anytime I'd had charcoal cooked food it tasted like an ash tray. That, and lighter fluid.

Like Hank Hill says, "Taste the meat, not the heat!"

Though I'll admit now, that charcoal doesn't have to taste like ash. I learned that wasn't how you were supposed to do things.

Got a five pound bag as a birthday gift from dear friends..who do not barbecue. Gifted it to my lawn man.

Disclaimer - I've never used Match Light in my life.

A coupe days ago my dad's friend brought me a small tri tip to smoke for him. He included an 11.6lb bag of ML.

I took it and never said anything but I had no intention of cooking the tri tip with that charcoal

I think you need to tell that guy what you used to smoke the tri-tip, else he's gonna think Match Light is da bomb.

While a NOOB I added some in the middle of a chicken cook (not sure why), I opened up the lid an hour later to creosote chicken (black but not burnt). Ahh those were the days..
I mostly burn straight sticks now but prefer lump when I use charcoal. Cowboy or RO but lately the chunks in Cowboy are friggen HUGE and it's difficult to use. They use to have the opposite problem..guess they fixed it (ish)

Back