Full Spares?

Here was the special of the day at Sugarfire Smokehouse in STL.

37407497_2674609535898572_2549907811458875392_n.jpg

Some really good stuff in this thread. I really appreciate the advice everybody. I did the "burnt end" style today and they were awesome.

@Robert,
Thanks for the tips and I'm looking into US-Foods and Sysco, but my main problem right now is storage. Currently I'm going through Sams, Costco, and Restaurant Depot but some of the prices for pork are getting quite high. I bought 8 racks of spares last night (should have bought at least double...sold out in ~30 minutes today) and I'm running right at about $10 per rack, but I will say the meat was great and no shiners or super thin racks at all.

I got hooked on Famous Dave’s rib tips. I bought those farkers by the pound.

There is a join near me that has a special every week called the "chopped rib meat" sandwich. When I asked the owner about it he told told me he uses the brisket bones (more specifically the lean from the flank end past the sternum) for the sandwich. So, he is doing exactly what you are. Buying cheaper full spares and making additional value out of the lean. This guy near me discards the actual breast bone and is left with boneless meat he chops.

It is an awesome sandwich and it sells out every week. The rib meat has tons of smoke flavor and a distinctive bite, different than pulled pork.

Pretty good article scroll to spares.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news...de-to-the-best-baby-back-ribs-and-spare-ribs/

I buy the smallest rack of spares I can find-like 3-4#. I removed the visible membrane and the 1/2” flap the membrane tucks under. After I cook I remove the brisket bone. Those are mine. Hot off the cooker I think those are some of the best pork I cook.

As for time, since I foil or wrap at some point, everything finishes at the same time. Many stores sell “value ribs” and spare rib briskets. These can be 50-60% less than regular racks of back and spares.

Value and brisket are never going to win a beauty contest, but for great flavor they are really good. A fun finger food.

The closer the bone the better the meat.

The value option is where I see a problem.

Yes it's nice to offer a value option but if folks order tips they will spend less than ribs. If it doesn't take away from other sales than fine but how are the margins on tips and how many high end customers are going to go for the value tips.

I used to frequent a restaurant that sold burnt-rib-ends and they were good. Extra seasoned and smoky rib meat. Yo could go with that for an extra option, unless you are wanting to serve them while spares.

I used to trim them, seal and put in the freezer for when I wanted an excellent "no guests" smoke. I just consider them to be Chef's Perks.

Back