Let's Keep the Pellet Talk Going! Best PG for Searing & Portability?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've got a FPG-500 that's my go to grill at home, and a FEC-100 that's my go to smoker, and I love both of them, but neither are very portable.

I have a GMG Davy Crockett now for steak competitions and my chicken cooker for BBQ competitions. Very portable, but very small.

I want more HIGH HEAT grilling surface that's still portable and pellet fueled.

Any thoughts sports-fans?

Probally RecTec Mini/ TrailBlazer ? Till Mak mini comes out.......

How much heat would result if you filled a Weber charcoal chimney with pellets and lit it?
Weber charcoal chimneys are quite portable and, with an inexpensive grate on top, sear extremely well.

I'd just get a PK Grill like all the rest of em are doing?

Because I'm a pellet-head!

I managed a 7th place finish out of 24 in my 2nd contest with my DC, but I just want some more room. The DC @ 200sq/in is just a little too small.

I noticed pit boss makes one that's 300ish … may have to look at it.

Not wanting to be contrary. For searing, why would you let being a pellet head limit you to the "best" portable pellet cooker that might still be inferior to a charcoal cooker?

What's wrong with getting the "best tool for the job"? If it happens to be charcoal, it is what it is.

Not wanting to be contrary. For searing, why would you let being a pellet head limit you to the "best" portable pellet cooker that might still be inferior to a charcoal cooker?

What's wrong with getting the "best tool for the job"? If it happens to be charcoal, it is what it is.

legit question...

I am of the belief that the right pellet grill is on par with a PK etc.

My DC gets well over 550 at the grates, creates a nice smoky chamber which I feel adds a kiss of extra flavor. I just want a little more space for cooking on it.

Maybe fabricate something close to the official GMG pizza oven for your Davy Crockett.

Said to sear at 900, but only fits GMGDB, and GMGJB.

Or shift your box to far left, and right side should be over 600

Back