Pastrami Bacon & Barbacoa in the 505 - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
After some freshly ground piñon coffee, I decided to grab the bit of pastrami'd pork belly from the garage fridge.

yN6AMCil.jpg

Gave it my best "thick cut bacon" slice, then fried it up in the cast iron skillet.

NPcRcz4l.jpg

rGN7eiQl.jpg

I couldn't keep the munchkin away from the stuff. I seriously had to slice up damn-near a whole pack worth of slices... CINCHOUSE awoke and (after some piñon coffee) crushed 2-3 slices with positive murmurs and facial expressions.

I've had a hankering for Barbacoa for a long while... haven't visited Barbacoa El Primo in a couple of months. Starting to twitch. Need a homemade fix.

Seasoned up a DoD Commissary bargain chuckie with Naturiffic Q-Salt.

8TmF0zUl.jpg

275ish over mesquite charcoal and apple smoke until about 155-160F internal.

32pv15El.jpg

Loose SteveKing Barbacoa recipe with emphasis on savoury elements.

Q27ft7Hl.jpg

Braising in the oven for 2 hours - will check on it shortly.

Whipped up some green chile queso as a snack while we watched the Carolina Panthers slowly collapse like a flan in a cupboard. 4-8... not a good season.

aHGZMdVl.jpg

1sIcIUrl.jpg

KHmpGWrl.jpg

Kid crushed it, and was soon out like a light for a nap.

More to follow as this barbacoa finishes up.

What brand was the seasoning before the homemade label went on? I used some of it years ago but can’t remember the name. Food looks great, especially the bacon!

What brand was the seasoning before the homemade label went on? I used some of it years ago but can’t remember the name. Food looks great, especially the bacon!

Cheers!

That was some John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper. Big fan.

That looks like a burrito waiting to happen yumm!

Didn't manage to get plated photos this time.

Family descended forth and made soft tacos. CINCHOUSE added the green chile queso to hers and made lots of inappropriate sounds while devouring them. :roll:

I’m still stuck on the pastrami bacon photo. Will try and her to the rest of the post later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m still stuck on the pastrami bacon photo. Will try and her to the rest of the post later.

My only caution on the pastrami bacon is that the rub (especially with the juniper berries and the sugar in the rub) has a tendency to get sticky and blackened in the skillet. I found myself really scrubbing off the spatula every 4-6 half-slices of bacon I cooked... or thereabout. Did NOT affect taste/flavor/texture.

I look forward to your own adventure(s) on the subject!

Back