MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #16
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

I’ll add this though, not all Pellet Grills are created equal, so do your research before you buy. Some have great Tech built in... ie. WiFi, Bluetooth, as well as ease of off-site operation of the pellet grill and great costumer service and some produce a better smoke flavor profile then others. Know that Pellet Grill smoke will never be overpowering as a stand-alone... So, if that’s your goal, then great. When I first got my PB Austin XL a few years back, the convenience was good, but it’s smoke flavor profile was to light from what I was accustom too. I added a Smoke Gen. to mine that is able to burn lump charcoal, wood pellets, hardwood wood chips and chunks so the level of smoke is completely up to me at any temp and I can enjoy the best of both worlds at the same time or I can go strictly pellets. As far as pellet grills, Lone Star Grillz has a new pellet grill coming out that as per their website says... Quote.. has a Patent pending burn pot design allowing a mix of hot burning pellets and smoldering ones giving the best smoke profile available on a pellet smoker. End quote... https://lonestargrillz.com/products/...b5ca0536&_ss=r Just something else to consider and worth researching for your pellet grill options if you do decide to go that route... Good luck.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #17
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiej View Post
I have a Kettle and an offset. My daughter and son in law have pellet grills . I have eaten at Burn BBQ (Oklahoma Best????). When I was doing research, as best I could tell if you want the offset profile, with the ease of pellets. A gravity feed with a controller might be a good option to look at.
I couldn't agree more. I own an offset, pellet, gravity, ceramic, and drum. The only thing that can imitate an offset is the gravity (at least in my collection). For ease of use, it imitates the pellet smoker. You can get into a gravity for a VERY low cost (masterbuilt 560). Or, you can make a lifetime investment with an Assassin, Stumps, or T&K.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 05:11 AM   #18
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

honestly that's not much smoke coming off those cookers. I definitely wouldn't refer to it as billowing. you will get some white smoke if you cook directly over coals. you can get a clean no visible smoke burn with the minion method. it takes a little time but once it stabilizes the super heated charcoal ignites clean.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #19
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

I think the characterization of WSM as having billowy white smoke all the time is either false or from poor fire management. I use charcaol marked as "all natural" (brand doesn't seem to matter too much) and chunks. The key is to let the fire settle in. Takes about 45 minutes. At that point I get thin/blue or clear and that is when the meat goes on. No over smoked taste.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #20
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
I think the characterization of WSM as having billowy white smoke all the time is either false or from poor fire management. I use charcaol marked as "all natural" (brand doesn't seem to matter too much) and chunks. The key is to let the fire settle in. Takes about 45 minutes. At that point I get thin/blue or clear and that is when the meat goes on. No over smoked taste.

You're putting words in my mouth. Hey .......... I've cooked on a WSM for 18 years. I'm not new at this.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #21
Clasko2
Full Fledged Farker

Much like yourself and others, I started with a WSM 22 and loved it, but wanted something more techy if you will. I picked up a Rec-Teq 700 and haven't looked back. Great some flavor, easy to operate, great customer service. I've had a great experience with getting a pellet grill. That being said, I don't think I'll ever get rid of my WSM, I'm sentimental that way. Haha
Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #22
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

So when you all are talking about gravity being closest to stick burner are you meaning running with lump mixed in with chunks or something different? I have a gravity and WSM. I have never run lump yet just briqs. Both the gravity and WSM have very similar profiles. I mix in chunks with my charcoal bed and run a dry water pan. So both pretty much same principle, charcoal/wood. With gravity heat flows through manifold so underneath just like WSM. Only asking out of ignorance. Not nearly enough experience iwth stick burners or having Q off of them. Not entirely sure how local bbq joint smoke their product but, have never been impressed with any. Not do to smoke just quality in general. Thanks

Old 11-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #23
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
. Not entirely sure how local bbq joint smoke their product but, have never been impressed with any. Not do to smoke just quality in general. Thanks

I only included the barbecue joint because its charcoal/chunk and very popular. So I guess whether the smoke coming from those cookers is billowy can be debated, but whatever kind of smoke it is, there's a lot of people who love the food it creates.

I know a local KCBS judge who prefers charcoal/chunk flavor.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote