MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default Looking for Input On LSG 20X42 Fire Management Video

Howdy y'all! I posted a quick hit, five basic tips for offset fire mgmt video yesterday on my channel.

However, I still plan to make a full length fire management video (while cooking a brisket) within the next few weeks.

I know there are plenty of offset fire management videos out there, but I want to offer something that will benefit anyone new to offset smokers while also offering some LSG 20" series specifics.

TWO QUESTIONS:

What would you include in an offset fire management video that might not normally get covered in other videos? (i.e. Something often overlooked)

What topics would interest you in a fire management video specific to the new LSGs?

Yesterday's quick tips video is here: https://youtu.be/n9hfx1w4MMk

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

One recommendation cut a piece of expanded metal just smaller than the size of your FB burn grate and lay it on the burn grate and your coals won't drop through so quick. Also I have always used KBB charcoal to start my fire and have never had an issue with it not starting my splits within seconds.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I would scrap the charcoal altogether personally. I have actually never seen a fire built quite like you had it going in the video. I would take 6 logs, criss cross them, hit them with a weed burner, and call it good. You will get a solid coal bed way quicker than whatever you are doing with lump. I never understood why people waste so much charcoal in a stick burner for really no reason.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
One recommendation cut a piece of expanded metal just smaller than the size of your FB burn grate and lay it on the burn grate and your coals won't drop through so quick. Also I have always used KBB charcoal to start my fire and have never had an issue with it not starting my splits within seconds.
Yes, I need to get the expanded metal ASAP. Will be a big help. KBB will do the job, I just think lump is the better tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I would scrap the charcoal altogether personally. I have actually never seen a fire built quite like you had it going in the video. I would take 6 logs, criss cross them, hit them with a weed burner, and call it good. You will get a solid coal bed way quicker than whatever you are doing with lump. I never understood why people waste so much charcoal in a stick burner for really no reason.
Yeah, I know a lot of guys like doing it this way. The "power" method :) Personally, I am not a fan of propane tanks. It's a pain to me having them lying around taking up space and having to exchange empties. If I had a pickup and a house with property and storage, maybe. But I live in a townhouse with no yard to call my own and a small garage. And worse, no pickup. I don't want propane tanks around. Plus, a chimney of lump might be 50 cents. Not really wasting too much, just a preferred way of starting.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:23 AM   #5
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
Yeah, I know a lot of guys like doing it this way. The "power" method :) Personally, I am not a fan of propane tanks. It's a pain to me having them lying around taking up space and having to exchange empties. If I had a pickup and a house with property and storage, maybe. But I live in a townhouse with no yard to call my own and a small garage. And worse, no pickup. I don't want propane tanks around. Plus, a chimney of lump might be 50 cents. Not really wasting too much, just a preferred way of starting.
^^^ I agree. I’ve always found it very easy to use a chimney of lump, or even briquettes, to start my woodburner. I find it a- helps begin to warm the heatsink formed by all that metal, b- lays down an initial coal bed before any wood is fully burned, and c- works great for lighting the splits very evenly.

Just my pov. . . .
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2019, 04:02 AM   #6
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
Yes, I need to get the expanded metal ASAP. Will be a big help. KBB will do the job, I just think lump is the better tool.

I rather the weed burner over charcoal, but the propane tank does get to be a hassle. When my new smoker is ready, this time I am going to go with one of the long torches that run off of the small green bottles you can get at walmart. The torch is maybe $50 on amazon. Easier and quicker than messing with charcoal for me. And the plus of no propane tanks to haul around.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #7
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This is all the fire/coal bed it takes to maintain 250-275 degrees in my 20x42. I’m sure in other smokers it might take 6 logs or a huge coal bed but this cooker is different. I like the chimney of charcoal method. I haven’t seen whether lump or briquettes make a big difference. Either fuel gets the job done for me and my LSG.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50

Last edited by cheez59; 10-18-2020 at 07:29 AM..
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Two questions, since I'm still learning my 20x42.:
What size of chimney? I have the shorter Weber chimney instead of the full size, because it fits easier into the firebox.
Where in the firebox do you build the fire? Against the back, along one side, or in the middle?
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
Two questions, since I'm still learning my 20x42.:
What size of chimney? I have the shorter Weber chimney instead of the full size, because it fits easier into the firebox.
Where in the firebox do you build the fire? Against the back, along one side, or in the middle?

I use the full size Weber chimney with the firebox cooking grate removed. I build my fire close to the right side so I have room on the left to heat up my splits.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
Rodomac
Knows what a fatty is.

Curious on how the fire placement in the box might affect the draft, temp or how fast it heats up or cools down.
Rodomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire management, lone star grillz, Lone Star Grillz 20x42, lone star grillz new models, LSG, offset