Favorite store-bought pork rub?

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was making my own this morning and wishing I could find something I like at the local grocery store. I guess that's Idaho--trout, elk, huckleberries, high country wilderness . . . but not much in the way of a BBQ tradition.

Do y'all have good rubs at your local grocery stores?

About all our local supermarket carries for rubs is the McCormick line. 5 or 6 if I remember correctly. Their Sweet and Smokey is not bad. The others, meh. The Ace Hardware, about 8 miles away carries a broader selection.

Ace Hardware does carry a very nice selection. Ours has Plowboys Yardbird which is great on pork and chicken.

I've tried a ton of different store bought rubs on ribs over the years. I usually do three racks at a time and season all with something different. Time after time Zero to Hero has been the favorite of most folks I feed.

About 1 year ago I tried salt/pepper only. To my great surprise it was the favorite of the vast majority of folks. I only use s/p on my spare ribs now.

I'm still using Zero to hero on pork butts but suspect it would be fantastic with just s/p. I will probably cut the next one in half and try both ways.

iwMgJee.jpg

aFDY0OZ.jpg

bQbaD1M.jpg

Not really an issue around here. In Kansas City you can practically buy BBQ Rubs at the gas station. I swing by a BBQ speciality shop, en route to the grocery stores.

I don't know that I've ever thought to look for pork rub at the grocery store. I'm sure they have some, though. I usually make my own, or go with something from online or BBQ store sources. As others have mentioned, Ace Hardware usually has a great selection of various rubs and sauces. Oakridge Secret Weapon is awesome. Recently, I tried Hardcore Carnivore's Red on a pork butt - it was really good, and less sweet than a lot of pork rubs.

As mentioned above, Walmart typically has a great selection of rubs at a great price. I wouldn’t discount Weber rubs either. They have some good stuff :)

These are a couple of my favorite ones.

Attachments

• EFCCAB1B-0D99-40AF-B078-EA66B47CACEC.jpeg
    EFCCAB1B-0D99-40AF-B078-EA66B47CACEC.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 105
Bad Byrons Butt Rub either base or in conjunction with another rub. Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub is the other one.

You've already heard Secret Weapon above - it deserves all the good comments it got too.

Add BPS Sweet Money to your list.

Either McCormicks season all or Lawry’s seasoned salt and Cavender’s is hard to beat day in and day out for storebought.There are a gazillion that are good and can be ordered online but you should be able to find the ones I mentioned about anywhere.It is a combo that does not disappoint and is my usual standby.There is a reason they are available almost anywhere.

Plowboys Yardbird is my go to pork rub.

Back