If you could only have one cooker...? My thoughts.

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys get this question a lot from friends and family just like I do. I decided to do a video on it.

I was thinking through all the cookers I've have owned over the years and which ones would be the best for most folks cooking for friends and family who for whatever reason can only have 1 cooker.

If you can only have one, you need something that can grill and smoke so that ruled out some of my favorites right off the bat. In the end, I think most people would be happiest with kettles and kamados as their only cooker and I go through my reasons for each one i think people would like best in mind-numbing...I mean "thorough" detail. lol

[ame]https://youtu.be/rFJlBgNqfyE[/ame]

This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I probably overlooked something (and if I did, I'm mention it in a future video.) I don't really have any skin in the game. I just get this question a lot and it's important to me to help people find what they need.

Side note: I was worried since it was long, nobody would watch it but over 4,000 people watched it over night last night. I must have hit on something.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the video, yet(Wi-Fi at work, sucks!). Just from the title, I was thinking kettle or a kamado, as well. Love your videos, keep 'em coming.

Matt

i would also go with a kettle but that sure doesn't leave much room for multiple big meats. if money is not an option then i think something like a Shirley with a warmer would be my pick but that is not a $150 cooker.

If I was going off to war and had to pick one, it would be a kettle. Probably the 26" even thought I have never cooked on one. I love my Kamado's but the kettle still gets the bulk of the work at my house.

ranch kettle or a assassin grill. never used a assassin but from what i have seen it can do all like a kettle

Thank you for what I felt was a superb review. It was clear, detailed and thorough.
Has it changed my opinion and/or influenced my decision? No.
But then having scoured the reviews/views of others, but specially looked at your substantial efforts, I had already decided to buy the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill with the table :-D.
So once again, thanks.

Interesting video. So you are basically saying that a komado is the best grill to own, if you only have one cooker? Or are you saying that, if you buy a kamado, the Summit is the best?

I will soon be adding a 26" kettle to turn into a mini-ranch now that the new full size Ranch has arrived, so I will reserve judgement of it until I have some time with it.

For now, my answer for a single grill would have to be the Ranch. I have not used it for smoking and it wouldn't be my first or 10th choice as a smoker but as a grill it blows away a 24" Kamado in capacity and capability. Plus it even costs a little bit less. Talk about limiting sales though. If they sold the Ranch for $499 people would find excuses for why they need two or three.

For a smoker, for me the choice would be which stick burning reverse flow offset. More work and not set it and forget it like a Kamado or charcoal cooker, but to me, the results from smoking are a step above.

If I could only have one device, I would be un-happy, but the Lang with Chargrill would be the last to go from the current stable. The chargrill on my 1990's Lang is not a great user friendly grill, but if I was motivated by lack of a Ranch, some lid counterweights and an adjustment to the hold open mechanism would make it much better. I am not sure how the new rounded designs compare. If I was buying new, I am sure I could get the Shirley guys to build me a unit to my design, or maybe just weld a Ranch onto the nose of the trailer. If it is welded on it only counts as one cooker right? :-D Obviously the price of an offset with grill option is in the same range as all three of your top kamados...combined, so that is a bit of an issue for those who are not fully committed.

I really have enjoyed my kamado and I do think they are a great choice for many people as a lone grill, but I just don't think I would ever be satisfied with one as my only outdoor cooker. Thankfully, I do not need to choose.

UDS for me. A drum can easily be setup for grilling. Extremely fuel efficient and reliable everytime.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Im going to go with UDS as well. I grill steaks on mine all the time, so you can really do it all with them as well.

I'm in the position of having only one grill. I could have others, but for cooking for 4 or less, I can't see owning other than a kettle. If I were going to buy a new grill, it would be a 26" kettle. A kamado would be nice for pizzas, but other than that, the worry factor
dump_zps1rkj5h5e.jpg

vs.
772589_0973e334.jpg

rules one out for me.
The Summit, without the gas starter and at a more reasonable price, might tempt me, though.

A pellet muncher that can sear and smoke, Memphis, MAK, Yoder or Fast Eddie, a Assassin Grill would be tops if I wanted to stick with charcoal.

Lived with a Weber Performer for a couple of years and the only thing I didn't like about cooking on it was cooking indirect for larger cuts of meat, it would get cramped.

Back