country Style Ribs Question...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My butcher tells me that the CSRs are cut off the loin chops, however they kinda look more like shoulder meat, so I thought they were a shoulder cut. By the way, there is a bone, like a short, loin rib bone.
If they are a loin, I'd go to a much lower temp than a shoulder cut, right?

9 times out of 10 here in California country ribs are shoulder, not loin chops. If you’re butcher says loin then it will be like cooking a baby back rib.

If the bone looks like an actual rib bone with a good chunk of meat on one side, it’s a loin rib.

Buy them and post a pic.

Last edited:
Down here in Texas they are always cut from the shoulder. I have heard of regional difference where they will cut them from a loin...I would avoid those.

This is my most recent shot of shoulder CSRs:

7MYsSt6l.jpg

9 times out of 10 here in California country ribs are shoulder, not loin chops. If you’re butcher says loin then it will be like cooking a baby back rib.

If the bone looks like an actual rib bone with a good chunk of meat on one side, it’s a loin rib.

Buy them and post a pic.

Mike, they’re at WinCo. If you’re ever there, take a look, otherwise, I’ll try and get a shot and post. Better yet, I’ll just get some! They look good no matter what they are. I’ll just smoke them like a baby back.

Up north here....

Country Style Ribs

Interestingly enough, for those who do not know: country-style ribs, don't actually come from the ribs. Thus creating a confusing product name not understood by many. The name is taken from the fact that the meat borders the rib area and has a texture and flavor similar to the meat around the ribs, but this theory of how they were given the name was taken from an article I read a many years ago.

A Google search revealed the following...
https://www.porkbeinspired.com/cuts/country-style-ribs/
The North American Meat Processors Association says that country style ribs "shall be prepared from the blade end of a bone-in pork loin, and shall include not less the three ribs, and no more than six...

Country Style Ribs are cut from the blade end, just above or behind where the whole shoulder was taken off. Boneless Country Style Ribs can also be strips cut from thick pork shoulder steaks. This somewhat fatty economical cut is sold either bone-in or as boneless products. The meatiest variety of Country Style Ribs are cut from the sirloin or rib end of the pork loin and are usually labeled as "Pork Loin Country Style Ribs".

Also, Country Style Ribs are a great way to test multiple samples of rubs or sauces without the great expense of multiple racks of ribs. They cook in the same manner as ribs, they are very similar in texture and flavor as ribs, thus giving you an inexpensive platform to experiment with.

enhance

I dusted them.
enhance

Lightly seared the country style ribs over the coals, then moved to the indirect side of the kettle.
enhance

Cooked with indirect heat with apple wood chunks until tender.
enhance

Sauced before serving.
enhance

enhance

That's a great explanation, as our Winco has Pork Loin Country Style Ribs and just County Style Ribs, that seem to cost more and for sure have the bone in. I'll cook'em up like ribs. By the way, those look delicious!

Pork Loin Country Style Ribs look like pork loin, pale pink. Shoulder cut look like shoulder meat, red.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Well, the CSR that I see at the store look like a combo...just like the ones in the pic shown. Part are a pale pink like a loin and the other part looks like shoulder, dark red.

They sell both around here. I make them quite often, and we do not care for the loin cut. The loin cut is too lean.

Hey Dadsr4, why do I find myself agreeing with you so much?

Back