MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #8131
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Is this floor dry you're talking about some kind of clay that absorbs grease?
We have some at work but they look like kitty litter and kind of spongy.
I’m at work so I can’t get my bag of it but a quick Google check comes up with similar stuff from Moltan (who I think makes Floor Dry) that’s diatomaceous earth pellets and I recall the bag saying it can double as kitty litter... Which makes using the Petmate pooper scooper to clean rather appropriate, eh? Lol

Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #8132
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D BBQ View Post
I’m at work so I can’t get my bag of it but a quick Google check comes up with similar stuff from Moltan (who I think makes Floor Dry) that’s diatomaceous earth pellets and I recall the bag saying it can double as kitty litter... Which makes using the Petmate pooper scooper to clean rather appropriate, eh? Lol
Yeah, diatomaceous ... that's the word I was looking for. I modified a garden hoe to use as my clean-out tool and even radiused the front to match the curvature of the drum.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #8133
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Yeah, diatomaceous ... that's the word I was looking for. I modified a garden hoe to use as my clean-out tool and even radiused the front to match the curvature of the drum.

Sweet! Looks even better than the Petmate scooper. Now you just need a flat edged hoe/shovel to rake the pellets in to your modded hoe and off you go! Fastest and easiest way to get grease out of the bottom of your PBC/UDS that I know of.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #8134
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS13 View Post
Happy Friday, or in my case and I hope yours too...

FriBday as in Friday Rib Day OR

F-RIB-Day OR

F*in RIB DAY!!!

Full slab of beef and 3 racks of baby backs going on in about 2 hours.
Some pics after the cook.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #8135
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Serious ribs there SS. Awesome!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #8136
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

I’m cooking a chuck roast for some chopped beef sandwiches. Today was the only day I could cook. How would y’all store the roast if we want to eat it tomorrow? It’s still coming up to temp now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #8137
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I would let it cool good then wrap in foil and stick in the fridge.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #8138
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I'm cooking a 8# full packer tomorrow any idea on timing? I've done two 6# flats that finished in 6 hours (these we're pastrami) and just one 12# full that cooked in 9 hours. Does 7-8 hours sound right? I'm also planning on cubing the point for burnt ends for the first time; should I add just a little more coals to the barrel so while the flat rests there is enough fuel for the burnt ends?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #8139
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Sounds about right
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #8140
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

This brisket is really throwing me off. The point is probe tender but the flat is tough and only 165~ according to my DOT. Dinner is planned at 7 but I am only 6.5 hours into the should I panic or just let it ride? It smells fantastic though

Old 02-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #8141
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
This brisket is really throwing me off. The point is probe tender but the flat is tough and only 165~ according to my DOT. Dinner is planned at 7 but I am only 6.5 hours into the should I panic or just let it ride? It smells fantastic though
If you like the color you can wrap in foil or butcher paper. But don't pull it off until thickest part of flat is probe tender. Good luck.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #8142
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
If you like the color you can wrap in foil or butcher paper. But don't pull it off until thickest part of flat is probe tender. Good luck.
I had initially wrapped it in butcher paper but I think I used to much and unwrapped it. Then after your advice I wrapped again using much less and it's climbing fast in temperature. I'll post pron for sure

Old 02-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #8143
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

those of y'all w the PBC and PBJ, do you still light the PBJ according to instructions? i just started mine with about a third of a chimney of lump lit and then poured over the rest of the basket of unlit to make a full basket. i have a feeling it's still gonna run cool. at least it feels like it. it's been running cool pretty consistently. i'm still getting good food but i don't think the barrel is running like it's designed to run. thoughts?

Edit: intake is adjusted properly according to instructions. FYI

Last edited by Coat; 02-17-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Coat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #8144
FGabs68
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coat View Post
those of y'all w the PBC and PBJ, do you still light the PBJ according to instructions? i just started mine with about a third of a chimney of lump lit and then poured over the rest of the basket of unlit to make a full basket. i have a feeling it's still gonna run cool. at least it feels like it. it's been running cool pretty consistently. i'm still getting good food but i don't think the barrel is running like it's designed to run. thoughts?

Edit: intake is adjusted properly according to instructions. FYI
I have both and have found that when using the JR I have to crack the lid for 15-20 minutes to get the barrel over 275. Once I get it to temp, it runs fine for the rest of the cook.
FGabs68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #8145
rs242
Got Wood.

Is it just me or does pbc not have that nice white smoke coming from it, I find it always looks like dirty smoke (like the kind we are told not to cook with)? Is it because of the constant burning fat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it