MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Jack's Old South vs Meat Church

Who's been? My wife and I were supposed to go to Thailand in late January, but her asthma doc just told her no air travel period until she is more stable. So she had the idea of going to a class that would help with our catering business.

Trying to decide between is one and Matt Pittmans class in Texas. GA is obviously a much closer drive, but he seems like such a jerk on TV. How is the class and how is he in person?

Mixons is a three day event, where Meat Church is one day. Anyone been to a Meat Church class also?

Thanks.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Never been to Matt's but he isn't but about 15 miles from me. I have heard some really good things about his class though.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

A couple of the brethren recently attended the same class and both had good reports on it. Look up the thread. I thought that I had seen someplace where Myron was doing classes in Ct. because of the expanse of his business ventures. May check that out. If I can find the info, I will post it.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Read this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=mixon
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
A couple of the brethren recently attended the same class and both had good reports on it. Look up the thread. I thought that I had seen someplace where Myron was doing classes in Ct. because of the expanse of his business ventures. May check that out. If I can find the info, I will post it.
His showroom and the facility where his smokers are manufactured are right across the river from me. It seems he does one class there in the summer. The point of our trip to Thailand was to go somewhere warm in the winter. So now we are looking at taking his class at the end of January and then spending a week in Key West.

That's a lot of time in the car, good thing we like each other.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryelfFan View Post
Thanks, I forgot about that thread, just reread the entire thing.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Mike,

I can’t comment with direct experience on either class.

I feel like Myron and his trophies are pretty darn impressive . I know a lot of jerk behavior on TV is staged to boost ratings. I figure Myron must be doing something right so why not learn from the best?

As Myron’s t shirts say “it’s all about gettin’ paid!”

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

If you're driving through Florida maybe see if Matt Barber "Hot Wachulas" , Swamp Boys or Sweet Smoke is having a class.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #9
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

As mentioned look for a school in Florida. I know that Sweet Smoke Q has a class January 13-14. You can check the websites for Swamp Boys and Hot Wachulas to see if they have any scheduled.

It get's a little tight here in Florida as the competition year starts January 1 here so teams hit the contests in the spring to get points as our contests slow in the summer because of the heat and then pick up again in the fall.

Sweet Smoke is in Lakeland Fl which is about 300 miles to the Keys!!
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Matt from Meat Church is a great guy. I have not been to his class, but know folks who have. I don't think his are geared to competition, but more to the backyard. He may end up doing competition classes at some point though.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Having attended both Hot Wachulas and Jack's Old South, I would say Myron's class would probably be more beneficial for a caterer. Matt's class was geared 100% towards competition cooking whereas Myron's class is much more rounded for catering, backyard, competition etc.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't think Meat Church does catering or competitions. They seem to be backyard type of classes. IMO I'd think you learn the most from JOS.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishiest1 View Post
If you're driving through Florida maybe see if Matt Barber "Hot Wachulas" , Swamp Boys or Sweet Smoke is having a class.
I checked these out, none had a class going in our time frame. Looks like it will be JOS, thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

The old thread about Myron's class posted here is mine. Myron's class was worth every penny.

At the class, Myron was personable, funny, and answered every question - definitely not a jerk. His son Michael was great, also.

Myron does catering gigs, so I'm sure he would answer questions you have about that.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
The old thread about Myron's class posted here is mine. Myron's class was worth every penny.

At the class, Myron was personable, funny, and answered every question - definitely not a jerk. His son Michael was great, also.

Myron does catering gigs, so I'm sure he would answer questions you have about that.
Thanks, I think we are sold on his class at the end of January. Just have to wait for the travel insurance refund before spending the money.