MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E
Default Instant Pots and Air Fryers

Looking for advice/recommendations. Never used either and trying to sort out pros & cons. Have wanted to try both but don't want two more gadgets taking up counter space unless they are functional enough to ditch other small appliances.

If I buy an air fryer, can I get rid of the toaster? Not certain but looking at some models it appears some can make toast and others can't.

If I buy an instant pot, can I get rid of the slow cooker? Don't own a pressure cooker. Would be nice to have that feature for time savings. Don't keep my slow cooker on the counter but would be nice to get it out of the cabinet it's stored in.

If I buy both an air fryer and instant pot, can I get rid of the microwave? Not a big fan of microwaves but has become a necessary evil cooking/reheating for one most of the time. Awful for reheating anything fried, pasty, or pizza so do those on a pizza stone in the oven, heating up the entire kitchen.

Considering counter space savings, was looking at this combo unit but skeptical it can do all things they claim it can do very well. Are separates better?

Like the rotisserie feature on some air fryers, some including baskets. Not a must feature for me.

Looking for durability, preferably stainless steel. Read reviews of Teflon flaking off inside some.

Experiences with either appreciated.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Cannot testify to air fryers, but my understanding is that they are a glorified convection oven.
As to the Instant Pot, it can definitely replace your slow cooker. I like that you can brown your meat in it without dirtying up a skillet. Also replaces a rice cooker if you use one.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would like a instant pot. A air fryer...not so much.
I'm not helping, I know.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

Not a huge help. But we have a good air fryer (gourmia)... I'm not impressed. We used it several times when it was new now it hardly ever, if at all gets used.

The insta-pot however gets used regularly and produces very good food.

None of these have replaced our toaster or microwave. But we do not use the microwave often and my toaster is a tradition slice toaster not a toaster/oven.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

I haven't used my slow cooker since I got my Instant Pot a couple years ago. There are tons of recipes online to do everything from Pot roast to cheesecake. I recommend getting one.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Harmony BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I don’t have in instant pot but we did have an air fryer, I gave it to my youngest daughter. The thing took up a lot of space and we used it 3 times in a little over a year. Not worth having in my opinion.
Harmony BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Got an Instant Pot a few years ago, hardly ever use it. Have a slow cooker, hardly ever use it. Thinking about getting a toaster oven or toaster oven/air fryer combo.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
crboggs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

My wife uses the air fryer constantly.

We wound up with one of the Breville models that replaced the old toaster oven and performs multiple duties...

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/ovens.html
crboggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #9
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

like others, Instant pot has replaced slow cooker, and it's great for cheating when you get a late start on chili, stew, pea soup, etc. I did pork shoulder that way and it was good for what it was(no smoke).

Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #10
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crboggs View Post

We wound up with one of the Breville models that replaced the old toaster oven and performs multiple duties...

That's the one I'm thinking about. Trying to decide if the air fryer version is worth the extra buck twenty.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crboggs View Post

I have a Breville Smart Oven Air. We use it dang near daily,
many days twice a day , although not always as an air fryer. Wife uses it as a toaster almost every morning. Ive hardly used my main oven since getting this thing. The convenience of having a super quick heat up countertop oven is definitely underrated. Fits 12" CI pan and standard 9x13s.

I have not used my crock pot since. Use a dutch oven on the slow cooker setting in the Breville. I have not used my electric pizza oven in the garage since, for frozen pizzas. And, with 2 young kids, and a wife who doesnt cook, the Air Fryer has been seeing plenty of use as well. We love it!

That said, if youre only interested in the air fry function, buy a cheap one. This Breville takes up a bunch of counter space. At least they are decent looking.

No insta pot experience.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #12
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

No experience on the air fryer. On the instapot, yes and no on replacing the slow cooker. In terms of directly replacing for long, slow, low temperature cooks, not really. Many of them have settings that try to do it but without the thermal mass of the ceramic "crock" that true slow cookers have it doesn't work as well.

What an instapot does exceptionally well is cooking at high heat under pressure, which gives you similar results to what you could otherwise do in a slow cooker with much less time.

So, in terms of outcome, yes, it's a good alternative to a slow cooker. If you want to use it as a slow cooker (based on the 10 different things it claims to do) then not so much.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2021, 12:00 AM   #13
Shaunvdv
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Shaun

Instapot makes an attachment that turns it into an air fryer. So, you can have both. I would say though, I have both and I’m not impressed. My wife likes the instapot but honestly, everything she makes tastes over cooked and bland to me. Probably her cooking but she has tried about 30 recipes from different websites. I’m sure there has to be good recipes out there and the instapot was great for a stew we did. Cooked it super fast and tasted like it came out of the crock pot. As for the air fryer, I have found it is best at reheating previously fried food. Hahaha.
Shaunvdv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #14
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

We have a Breville (I think that is there spelling) toaster oven that also does air frying, convection oven, proofing of dough, broiling, baking, toasting and a few other things, air frier works great.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
Mht150
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : David

I have the Instant Pot Duo 8 quart. It has both lids, pressure and air fryer. The air fryer is a little smaller than I thought I wanted. But works very well for just the two of us. I still have a slow cooker because the instant pot stinks as one. But the food it cooks has turned out great. There is a learning curve though. Tons of groups with great info online.
Mht150 is offline   Reply With Quote