Cleaning the grates in my smoker

Phaddie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been loving my new 24x48 offset smoker from Alberta Barbeque. Just one question, how does everyone clean the grates in their cookers? My old wood scraper from my has grill does not work on the grates in this thing and my wife is VERY against a wire brush ( one of our neighbours ended up in the hospital with a wire bristle in their throat)

Thanks in advance guys

Phad.

A 30-60 minute soak in hot soapy water followed with elbow grease and a scotchbrite pad, or stiff bristled nylon brush. Can be done a day or two after the cook.

Grate Cleaning.............

I usually preheat the smoker and run the temp up to about 400 F and then use a wire brush to knock it loose. Sounds like the brush may not be a good idea though..............you could use a wadded up piece of aluminum foil to brush down your grates.......after heating them up.............

If they are bar grates and cold, I use a brush with non metallic bristles- (plastic with some sort of abrasive impregnated). It works so-so. Or I use a crumple ball of foil if the grate is hot.

On my expanded metal racks, I hit them with a weed burner and carbonize what ever was on them and use a wide bladed putty knife. A wipe with an oily rag to finish it off.

Regular brushes work better - but I can see how some folk would avoid them.

If removable, spray with oven cleaner and stick in a black trash bag, putting the bag in the sun is even better, leave a few hours/days, hose off, and repeat if necessary

I use a Weber product. It's a plastic handle with industrial scotch brite. Of course I can't find it on line to show ya. I buy Replacement Scotch Brite pads at the store. Works great on cold grates.

Works on expanded grates and cast iron grates as well.

First, I always spray my grates (wire) with Pam before I cook and le it sit for about 30 minutes. I have found that clean up is much easier.
To clean with alot of build up I use a stainless steel scrubbing pad, for general cleaning a scotch birte pad (green) with soap and hot water! Mostly the grates look almost brand new.
I am sure the same system can be used on expanded metal grates also.

Heat and scrape with whatever you favor. I'm not looking for bare metal for tig work, so I don't bother with hot water, but I'd probably go with baking soda if I were.
Don't like the little bits of aluminum left behind, so not a fan of foil ball. Never had a problem with wire, but as the song goes "Don't say it can't happen just because it hasn't happened yet.

Warm it up and I use regular old wire brush but follow up with with paper towel wipe to catch or eliminate any leftover wire.

Sometimes I do the warm up and putty knife too and a little paper towel

I dont use wire brushes either. Friend of mine had to have a piece of his gut removed because a bristle got lodged in there and infected.

I usually get it hot and scrap with a ball of foil.

I use a pressure washer a few times a year when I need to get the buildup off.

Back