MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #706
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Trying a new thing with coals. Oh and I couldn't help myself today. Bought a twin KBB, a Kingsford Hickory, and a Kingsford Apple. I'll get more Stubbs later but Walmart was out when I went. I'll use the KBB for burgers and hotdogs.
Anyway my experiment was blocking half of the coal basket with firebrick and filling only half of it for a short cook.....I'm doing chicken. You can see in the pics below how I did it. I used Kingsford Hickory with a chunk of apple wood. Also put a few pieces of small lump in the coals. I lit 34 coals and dumped them over the top. Also below you can see a method of cracking the lid to get a hotter temp I've used. Although i had to remove the rod and let the lid close with the rod out because it hit 340 with my current intake setting. I like 300-325 when doing chicken and i didnt want mess with the intake. It's coming back down now and is at 324. We'll see where it settles. About 10-15 min before it's done I will place the rod and lid like pictured again to ramp up the temp so I can get crispy skin.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm using the PBC all purpose rub. I usually use plow boys yard bird but I wanted to try the all purpose
What's with veering from the pbc guideline gospel? I thought the beauty of it is that it doesn't need maverick wires and all those other manipulations....now I'm really confused.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #707
sam3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Trying a new thing with coals. Oh and I couldn't help myself today. Bought a twin KBB, a Kingsford Hickory, and a Kingsford Apple. I'll get more Stubbs later but Walmart was out when I went. I'll use the KBB for burgers and hotdogs.
Anyway my experiment was blocking half of the coal basket with firebrick and filling only half of it for a short cook.....I'm doing chicken. You can see in the pics below how I did it. I used Kingsford Hickory with a chunk of apple wood. Also put a few pieces of small lump in the coals. I lit 34 coals and dumped them over the top. Also below you can see a method of cracking the lid to get a hotter temp I've used. Although i had to remove the rod and let the lid close with the rod out because it hit 340 with my current intake setting. I like 300-325 when doing chicken and i didnt want mess with the intake. It's coming back down now and is at 324. We'll see where it settles. About 10-15 min before it's done I will place the rod and lid like pictured again to ramp up the temp so I can get crispy skin.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm using the PBC all purpose rub. I usually use plow boys yard bird but I wanted to try the all purpose
Great post and tutorial Andrew. There is a lot of useful info in this thread, keep up the good work.
BGE XL, BGE Mini, MAK 1 Star #385, 22.5 WSM, Weber Platinum, mini-WSM, PBC, Bradly OBS w/Auber & La Caja China
sam3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #708
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Thanks sam3. I was hoping this thread would provide just that, lots of tips, tricks, and useful information for PBC owners to learn about.

So my chicken turned out pretty good. I have to admit though it wasn't my best. Unfortunately I don't know what the total reason was because I did just about everything different. Now I see why Aaron Franklin says only change one thing in a cook to determine if you like something better or not....lol. I used different coal, different rub, and it was my first chicken in the PBC. Before I bought the PBC I cooked chickens on my kettle using Stubbs and apple wood. I rubbed them with yard bird. Those always turn out great. Since I've pretty much been able to duplicate other cooks in the PBC with at least equal flavor I'm going to say it was either the coal I used (Kingsford hickory) or just that I like the yard bird rub better.

Now having said all that let me say that the chicken did taste very good and was very very juicy, probably the juiciest I've made! The PBC settled in at about 310-315 with one rod pulled out. The last 15 minutes I put the rod under the lid to create more exhaust (as pictured a few posts earlier). This brought the temp to 350 which did a good job giving me crispy skin. Here's how it turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150703_185757.jpg (26.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 20150703_190149.jpg (94.5 KB, 252 views)
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #709
bodog
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
What's with veering from the pbc guideline gospel? I thought the beauty of it is that it doesn't need maverick wires and all those other manipulations....now I'm really confused.
Obviously he's trying to perfect perfection. I look at him as the Albert Einstein of the PBC

Or should that be the Andrew Einstein of the PBC?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #710
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks good Andrew. PBC makes the best and juciest chicken on earth.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #711
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Looks good Andrew. PBC makes the best and juciest chicken on earth.
You're right Bob....hanging in the pbc is way.better than hanging in anything else, and way way better than rotisserie. I gotta say it's the best galaxy!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #712
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodog View Post
Obviously he's trying to perfect perfection. I look at him as the Albert Einstein of the PBC

Or should that be the Andrew Einstein of the PBC?
Who me!? lol. I appreciate the compliment but I'm just learning like everyone else....But it's fun to experiment too!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #713
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Quote:

Andrew I like the brick idea....now I can put my charcoal basket back in my mini.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #714
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjonz View Post
Andrew I like the brick idea....now I can put my charcoal basket back in my mini.
That's funny....I liked your smaller basket idea but I didn't have any expanded metal. Just had fire bricks so I did it that way. One thing I did notice using that method is if you wanted to adjust the meat to not drip on the coals you could. Just another possibility.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #715
Bob C Cue

Thought I would share this recent review from Amazon on the benefits of the PBC:

Best I have ever owned!

Having been a professional chef and BBQ enthusiast most of my life, I have owned and done it all when it comes to BBQ. Kettle grills, gas grills, eggs, you name it, at one point in time I have owned it. Prior to receiving this item as a gift from a friend, I owned a BGE, and while I liked it, I spent too much time constantly tinkering with it to get the airflow just right, and that got old. It got so old that the BGE just sat there without being used. Then I got the PBC, and I am now using it at least twice a week, and year around. I have cooked ribs, brisket, pork butts, pork loins, chicken, burgers, brauts, hot links, steaks of all kinds (NY, Ribeye, Skirt, Flank, Tri-Tip, Hanger, etc), turkey, duck, venison, bison, pizza, and I have even made flat breads and pita's on it. Oh, and you don't have to mess with it. Load the briquettes, light it, load it, and leave it. How can you go wrong? You get the picture by now, I LOVE THIS THING
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].

Old 07-03-2015, 11:10 PM   #716
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe I should try it for stuff that's not hung..... Contemplating trying wings on it this week

Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #717
Bob C Cue

Default PBC on PBS!

I just finished watching the first episode of Steven Raichlen's new show called "Project Smoke" on PBS. He cooked chicken halves on the the PBC and got a nice mahogany color and super crisp skin by basting the birds twice with butter during the cook. I will have to give that a try. We all know already how flavorful and juicy PBC chicken is, and with this method it might turn out even better if possible! Happy Fourth everyone!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #718
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
I just finished watching the first episode of Steven Raichlen's new show called "Project Smoke" on PBS. He cooked chicken halves on the the PBC and got a nice mahogany color and super crisp skin by basting the birds twice with butter during the cook. I will have to give that a try. We all know already how flavorful and juicy PBC chicken is, and with this method it might turn out even better if possible! Happy Fourth everyone!
That sounds wonderful Bob....you think i could do close to as good in my jimmy? No way the rotisserie could do that I'm sure.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #719
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
You're right Bob....hanging in the pbc is way.better than hanging in anything else, and way way better than rotisserie. I gotta say it's the best galaxy!

It sure would be nice if people who don't appreciate the Pit Barrel Cooker would refrain from posting in the Pit Barrel Cooker Appreciation thread. All the subtle put-downs aren't cute. They aren't relevant and they detract from the thread. Why would someone want to crap on an appreciation thread?
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #720
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
It sure would be nice if people who don't appreciate the Pit Barrel Cooker would refrain from posting in the Pit Barrel Cooker Appreciation thread. All the subtle put-downs aren't cute. They aren't relevant and they detract from the thread. Why would someone want to crap on an appreciation thread?
No Bob is convincing me, he's popping in a bunch of threads convincing me.

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it