Apple wood drying question.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
I've just scored two loads of apple wood. They are the branches from trees that were over 20 years old and had stopped producing apples so the orchard owner put the wood up for sale. I got in the deal with some others and two trips later, this is what I got:
IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

These branches are from 5 inches to 9 inches in diameter and they range in length from 4 feet to 7 feet long. I'm going to cut them down to firebox length or smaller and then cut them in half lengthwise.

What I'm wondering is do I need to let them dry out before I cook with them?

I would let it dry 4-6 months. If you cut it into smaller pieces it will take less time. Are you going to add this to charcoal? If so, why not cut into 2-3 inch pieces? It would also dry faster.

I just spent the day cutting up apple wood myself.I cut it down to fist size chunks.I have enough from the year before so I don't worry about ageing it.If you cut it down and split it ,it will dry faster.The owner of the orchard gives me as much as I want.

I'm in agreement with Bryan. Apple wood adds a wonderful flavor, but it's very low in BTU, or "heat", value. Better used as a flavor additive to dry hard wood such as Red Oak which is very neutral in flavor. Seasoning time for fruit woods is not that long, for me anyway. 4 or 5 months in log form, less if chunked.

After you cut your wood into chunks or pieces, split them in half, will cut your drying time in almost half.

In my opinion ,apple wood isn't my choice of woods, it hard to split , doesn't burn very good , don't put out a lot of heat.

Thanks for all the comments.

I wasn't aware that apple is low BTU, so I'll make sure I use it with charcoal or lump.

I am planning on cutting them down to smaller pieces and it sounds like I should do that up front to speed up the drying. Hopefully there won't be to many black widows in the pile when it's dried enough to use. I found four or five in the last pile of wood I had.

If you're gonna use the apple wood just for smoke, you don't need to let it dry at all. You might use a little less though, if you're accustomed to buying bagged fruitwood chunks that have been seasoned dry.

PS: Actually, I'd cut what you need out of the smaller stuff, and leave the bigger stuff alone till you get closer to needing it, protecting it from the elements the best you can. I PREFER the flavor of green fruitwood added to the coals for smoke.

Back