• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilled Oyster Party

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just finished up a semi-annual Oysters and Beer party for some friends of mine who own a marina and a couple of oyster farms. We've been doing this for about 5 years now and it's amazing how far things have come. The first year was an s-show and we didn't' know what we were doing. Finally have a system down. There were grilled (us), raw, steamed, fried, stew, and smoked oysters. Our 5 person operation personally shucked and grilled about 1,400 on the day, with over 4,000 being sold for the whole event. Not bad for a small town marina. 25% of proceeds for the event went to helping out a local disabled vet. I wish I had better pictures, but I was working the whole time. Pretty simple recipe.

Raw oyster in shell
Drizzled with butter sauce (butter, garlic, texas pete, onion, old bay, worsh)
Top with bacon, chives, parsley, parm

Grill over wood fire for 3-5 min until oysters start to sizzle and edges curl up a bit.

Attachments

• 20191109_140822.jpg
    20191109_140822.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Resized952019110995140814.jpg
    Resized952019110995140814.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 271
OMG. looks awesome. Our bays are getting cold enough where it is now oyster season down here in Texas. It is time to buy a sack and get the oyster knife out.

My invite must have been lost in the mail.

Looks great, I think I will start this tradition up with my buddy.

Yeah buddy! That looks insanely good.

This reminds me...it's oyster time. Couple of dozen raw and a bucket of beer would be quite alright.

Looks Awesome! Are those muffin pans?

Yes they are muffin pans. Last time we used sizzle platters, but they didn't hold as many oysters and due to the shape sometimes they would fall over. This year we gave muffin pans a shot. They definitely held the oysters upright better due to the little cup. On half of the pans we drilled out the bottom so that the heat would directly hit the shell and hopefully help speed up the process. The other half we left as is.

The plan was to try a little experiment to see which ones worked better, but we were cranking them out so fast that I never was able to collect any real data. We covered them with deep hotel pans as a lid for cooking to trap in heat. Anecdotally I'd like to say the drilled ones worked a bit faster, but can't really say.

It was a cold windy day and we had to keep feeding the fire. Due distance from the bottom of the grill and the grate, we had to have a pretty big fire to cook quickly. Next year I might find a way to reduce that distance and allow for a more consistent fire. The ultimate goal is find something that doesn't require us to cover the pans as it adds time and takes up space.

Back