Induction Ranges? Looking for opinions

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have one? It is time to replace my 15 year old gas slide in - it has a glass top that has broken twice now - I fixed it the first time but won't again. It is near impossible to clean and the knobs are way too easy to turn, making it much too easy to accidentally turn on the gas.

Thinking about an induction range. I have used induction cooktops in cooking classes and loved them - fast and precise. I know I might need to get some new cookware but that's OK.

We bought a well reviewed GE induction range a couple of years ago to replace a dying electric range.

Induction works 100% as advertised. Except... they don't advertise the noise they make.

And it's horrible and existed in all types of pans to varying degrees. Cast iron was the best, but still probably not something that we were willing to live with. GE came out and rebuilt the entire unit twice, but the noise was still there. After a year of battling they finally bought it back from us.

There is a constant, high pitched hum coming from the interaction between the pan and the magnet in the stove. We tried 6 different pans and all had the same issue - the cheaper ones were generally the worst.

I recently bought a Duxtop induction plate to use outside for frying and it works great, but also has the same noise issue.

There are lots of reviews that don't mention anything about the noise - but there are more and more that do. Not sure if the electrical service in our house made it worse (we pop bulbs constantly, so somethings up) or what.

Not sure if the commercial ones are somehow different, or if running a vent over it would mask some or all of the noise.

I'd try one of the single burner plates of Amazon and see how it works in your house first.

I have a countertop single induction burner and it does the same thing ^^^ can't stand it. I imagine it's how dogs feel about dog whistles.

we have a ge profile and love it, I have not noticed a noise, it may be there but I haven't noticed any sound louder than the voices in my head.

takes magnetic pans and some adjusting due to how fast it can heat up. the control is awesome

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^we installed a GE induction range recently and it's fantastic. Yes, there is a small amount of hum at the highest settings but that’s a small price to pay for the ultra rapid heating characteristics and control. And I have always preferred to cook with gas vs. resistance electric, but the induction burners are so fast, I don’t think I would ever go back.

Only drawback I see is having to be careful not to scratch the smooth glass surface but that’s not related to induction per se. yes, special cookware is necessary but I purchased a few relatively inexpensive pots and pans from a local restaurant supply and I am happy with them.

This particular model does not have knobs to clean around. The touch screen-type control surface is very easy to clean like a window.

Love the Induction system

We have a 15 year old induction cooktop that was hard to come by in 2004. I got this Brandt model imported from New Zealand from France. It has worked great without any problems. Now there are a 100 from which to choose on the market. It does buzz a bit on MAX, but to boils water in a very short time and all the heat is generated in the pot and not the surrounding air like gas or electric coil or ribbon. Use mostly All Clad pots and pans and they are great on the cooktop. if I had to replace tomorrow I would look at Thermador for a replacement. Don't know if Thermador makes an induction range.

I’m going to go with a GE induction cooktop when I replace my range — because it’s what will fit without having to recut the granite.

From what I’ve read, the noise is actually coming from the pan not the range. It’s definitely the thing that worries me the most as there isn’t a good way to tell if a pan is going to be an issue before buying it. I still think I’m going to go the induction route though

I’m going to go with a GE induction cooktop when I replace my range — because it’s what will fit without having to recut the granite.

From what I’ve read, the noise is actually coming from the pan not the range. It’s definitely the thing that worries me the most as there isn’t a good way to tell if a pan is going to be an issue before buying it. I still think I’m going to go the induction route though

Any higher end non-big box store should have a model that you can operate and observe.
Ed

We love ours, but if gas was an option for us that would be my first choice. I don't think there is another option that's more precise. That being said, induction is a game changer. It's almost as precise as a quality gas unit. I can heat water in a hurry. Cleanup is a piece of cake if I take the time to put some parchment paper down.

Down side was that I had to give up a couple of pans I had for years and loved. If you've made up your mind that you don't want to stick with gas do the research and pick your poison. I think you'll be happy.

Just a note. You’ll need a 240V, 40A or 50A circuit at the range location. Since you have gas today you probably con’t have one there.

I have a countertop single induction burner and it does the same thing ^^^ can't stand it. I imagine it's how dogs feel about dog whistles.

I'd really recommend anyone considering induction to buy a single burner and try it before you buy the full range.

You can return the burner easily, but it takes a fist fight to get rid of a range you don't like.

I really, really wanted to be able to justify keeping it but the noise was just too much.

We love ours, but if gas was an option for us that would be my first choice. I don't think there is another option that's more precise. That being said, induction is a game changer. It's almost as precise as a quality gas unit. I can heat water in a hurry. Cleanup is a piece of cake if I take the time to put some parchment paper down.

Down side was that I had to give up a couple of pans I had for years and loved. If you've made up your mind that you don't want to stick with gas do the research and pick your poison. I think you'll be happy.
this is important for us, we put paper down to cover the surface and cleanup is a breeze

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any of the European brands will be a good place to start. Europe has been using these for years and they are durable and quiet in addition to being very energy efficient which is important ($ wise) in most of Europe.

We went with induction when we remodeled the kitchen in 2010.
I like cooking with cast iron and the fact that a paper towel under the cast iron prevents scratches is great. The paper towel does brown up using a hi heat setting though.
The highest setting on ours will boil a large stock pot of water in less time than any gas range I've ever seen, including some commercial ones. Never noticed any noise that I would consider excessive.
The wife was using an enamel coated pot to boil some water a long time ago and the enamel chipped off and melted a small area on one of the burners. That burner still works though. We ditched any other enamel coated cookware.
The table top induction ranges are 120V and don't heat nearly as fast but the temps are stable. You definitely need 220V to realize the full benefit of induction.
During my research back then I found that most were actually manufactured by Electrolux but badged with various better known names.

Back